By Julissa Catalan
At a press conference on Tuesday, NBA Commissioner Adam Silver confirmed that Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling has been barred for life from the Clippers organization and the NBA.
This includes no games, no practices and no meetings.
Sterling was also fined the maximum amount of $2.5 million dollars.
“The views expressed by Mr. Sterling are deeply offensive and harmful,” Silver said in opening the press conference. “That they came from an NBA owner only heightens the damage and my personal outrage. Sentiments of this kind are contrary to the principles of inclusion and respect that form the foundation of our diverse, multi-cultural and multi-ethnic league.
“We stand together in condemning Mr. Sterling’s views. They simply have no place in the N.B.A.”
Silver went on to express that he is pushing for a forced sale. Though legally the league cannot force Sterling to sell the team, Silver specified that the owners hold authority with a three-quarters vote leverage and that he has the board’s full support.
The NBA concluded its investigation following the release of Donald Sterling’s racist remarks late Monday night. Silver confirmed that Sterling did acknowledge that it was his voice on the recording, and that he did not express other any different views.
Silver said he hoped the recording was “fraudulent and doctored,” but said that he has known Sterling for 20 years and recognized his voice immediately.
Prior to the investigation’s completion, several advertisers—including CarMax, Kia Motors, Lumber Liquidators, Mercedez-Benz USA, Red Bull and Virgin America—had already pulled their support from the team.
The Clippers are scheduled to play Game 5 of their first-round playoff series on Tuesday night.
Watch Adam Silver announce the lifetime ban at Tuesday’s press conference here: