Jason Kessler is pursuing anniversary rallies in Charlottesville and D.C. across from President Trump’s front lawn to discuss discrimination against white people and “civil rights abuse” by the government at last year’s rally. His D.C. application was approved by the National Park Service, which said they only focus on public safety, not content. Charlottesville denied Kessler’s return, but he is suing the city.
Trump did not condemn the white supremacists at the deadly Charlottesville rally last year, but instead said there was “hatred, bigotry and violence on many sides“ and defended some of the supremacist demonstrators as “very fine people.”
The government branch also had its executive team reorganized by Interior Secretary Ryan Zinke, who accused 30 percent of his staff not being loyal to the flag. Zinke originally appointed Smith to deputy director in January.
Kessler blames the city of Charlottesville for last year’s violence and says whites don’t have the right to peacefully protest.
Black Lives Matter D.C. member Tracy Redd told WUSA9 news, “If your right to rally and your right to protest means that someone else’s life might be in danger, then it is no longer free speech, but it is hate speech.”
The rally is scheduled for Aug. 11 and 12 between Washington, D.C. and Charlottesville, with “alternate locations.”
NPS and the police are working with Kessler on safety measures. He insists this is not a “street fight” or an “anti-(fill in an ethnic group here) rally,” but he encourages all who plan to attend to buy a body cam and that wearing it is “mandatory.”