10Originally published on LinkedIn. Toyota Motor North America ranked No. 7 on The DiversityInc Top 50 Companies for Diversity list in 2021.
Alva Adams-Mason, Executive Group Manager of Multicultural Business Alliance and Strategy, is an advocate for the importance of women maintaining their mental health as they pursue their career.
“Mental health is a serious concern for all women who strive to be at the top of their game — whether their goal is the Olympics, the C-suite or success and fulfillment in their chosen professions,” Adams-Mason wrote on Fortune.
6 ways career-minded women can cultivate positive mental health
- Practice mindfulness and surrender to whatever is happening in the moment
- Find something you can lean on for strength, whether it’s your faith, meditation, your family or friends
- Cultivate a tribe you can call on in times of need
- Recognize that it’s okay for people to have opinions that differ from yours
- Take time for yourself and your mental health
- Forgive quickly, let go of resentment and move on
How employers can support women’s mental health
- Prioritize mental health
- Provide benefits that support mental health
- Create a healthy workplace culture
- Commit to making women’s advancement a company priority
“Knowing what you want and being relentless in pursuing it is critical to making it to the C-suite,” Adams-Mason wrote, “but ultimately, taking care of your mental health along the way is equally, if not more, important.”