No. 10 | The Hershey Company
Michele BuckChairman and CEO
“We value the contributions that each individual brings through their different experiences and backgrounds. We are the sum of our experiences, and our business and connections to consumers are enriched by it.”
Alicia PetrossChief Diversity Officer
“Inclusion is belonging, respect, being all in, the great feelings we have about working at Hershey. Inclusion underpins each of our values, as without it we cannot be together, be excellent, operate with high integrity or be open to possibilities. Inclusion is the connective tissue that holds our culture together. Diversity is an important element in inclusion — we want our workforce representation to mirror our consumer base.”
From The Company
We believe it is important to live and visibly demonstrate our values. Michele Buck, CEO and Chairman of the Board, has intensified her commitment and leadership of Hershey’s Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) agenda by establishing these efforts as enterprise priorities:
- Increasing workforce diversity: Gains across Black (+7%), Latinx (+13%) and Asian (+3%) workforce segments
- Growing diverse suppliers: 28% increase in Tier 2 diverse suppliers
- Reaching out to communities: 35% increase in philanthropic spending devoted to diverse audiences as a percent of gross revenue
In addition, we involved hundreds of employees in creating a new enterprise inclusion framework, The Pathways Project, our five-year plan to make Hershey more diverse and inclusive:
- Pathways to Join: We need to bring in a wider range of talent and perspectives.
- Pathways to Grow: We need to recognize and develop talent we haven’t in the past.
- Pathways to Reach Out: We need to show up for consumers and communities in new ways.
Hershey’s stand for equality is also evidenced by:
- U.S. salaried women, Blacks, Latinx, and Asians earn $1 for $1 compared to white men at the aggregate level.
- $1.5 million invested in the production and donation of masks
- The establishment of the first-ever corporate scholarship endowment, The Thurgood Marshall College Fund, with an investment of $1.5 million
We believe our DEI efforts drive business results and help us make more moments of goodness for consumers around the globe. We are all different, and together we are remarkable. Inclusion is in all of us.
U.S. Headquarters: Hershey, PA
Global Employees: 16,608
2020 DiversityInc Top 50 Ranking: No. 21
Official Company Socials
Other DiversityInc Lists
No. 12, Top Companies for LGBTQ
No. 14, Top Companies for Executive Diversity Councils
No. 11, Top Companies for Philanthropy
No. 2, Top Companies for Veterans
No. 7, Top Companies for Latino Executives
Among the Top Companies for Environmental, Social & Governance (ESG)