How do you find and nurture female talent in countries where women are discouraged from leaving the home? Diversity leaders from seven global companies recently explored the need to increase operational roles, understand local laws and cultural barriers, and adopt flexible work practices, especially in Middle Eastern and Asian countries.
Chief Diversity Officer Rohini Anand of Sodexo (No. 2 in the 2012 DiversityInc Top 50) led the discussion at a recent DiversityInc event and explored the challenges companies face in improving female representation at the executive levels. The audience of corporate and diversity leaders was able to ask questions, contribute their best practices for talent development and share firsthand their real-life success stories.
Companies participating included: PricewaterhouseCoopers (No. 1), Procter & Gamble (No. 5), American Express (No. 14), The Coca-Cola Company (No. 46), and BASF and Wyndham Worldwide (both are on DiversityInc's 25 Noteworthy Companies list).
In What's the Biggest Global Diversity Challenge? Female Talent Development, we share their best talent-development strategies and case-study examples that can help improve your pipeline of female talent globally.
Talent-Development Best Practices for Women:
- Provide a peer support system for women to help keep your top performers in the workforce
- Promote diversity and inclusion in the workplace with respect for local laws
- Gain cultural competence and understanding for local barriers to gender equality
- Provide opportunities for global assignments to challenge and engage employees
- Understand special issues facing women with strong family demands and devise culturally competent solutions
- Adopt flexible workplace practices and educate managers about the value of flexibility
- Use alumni/networking connections to encourage loyalty from female talent
- Get senior-level managers on board with gender-intelligence training
- Assign diversity champions in select countries to promote diversity-and-inclusion initiatives and help reduce gender bias
Read What's the Biggest Global Diversity Challenge? Female Talent Development on BestPractices.DiversityInc.com.