Subscribe

login / sign up

close and back to page

R. Kelly Dropped From Sony's RCA Label: Report

"This is a huge victory for the survivors who came forward, both in 'Surviving R. Kelly' and before, and all young Black women, who are systematically undervalued in our society," said Arisha Hatch of Color of Change.


R. Kelly was removed from RCA Records' website on Friday, but no official statement has been made by the record label.

Sony and R. Kelly have agreed to part ways, according to a Billboard report. The "Surviving R. Kelly" documentary and subsequent backlash from activists, music fans, and fellow music artists seems to have taken its toll, after more than 25 years of accusations of sexual and physical abuse.

Read More Show Less

'All My Support Came From Black Women,' Says Actor Terry Crews

Crews said that, after revealing he was sexually assaulted by a Hollywood executive, Black women stood by him.

TWITTER

When actor Terry Crews revealed that he was the victim of sexual assault by a "high-level Hollywood executive," he said Black men shunned him, while Black women supported him.

Read More Show Less

Accuser Says Letter Proves R. Kelly Threatened Her

"You better think of something quick. You're running out of time," said Faith Rodgers attorney, of R. Kelly.

Faith Rodgers , 21, spoke to New York police Monday and unveiled a threatening letter allegedly written by R. Kelly last October.

Rodgers is suing Kelly for nonconsensual acts he allegedly forced her into in 2017, when she was 19.

In the notarized letter to attorney Gloria Allred, who is representing Rodgers, Kelly allegedly wrote "if she persists in court action, she will be subjected to public opinion," that she should have test results "proving the origin of her STD claim." The letter also said Kelly would request "10 personal male witnesses testifying about her sex life."

"If Ms. Rodgers really cares about her own reputation, she should cease her participation and association with the organizers of this negative campaign," the letter allegedly signed by Kelly says.

Kelly's attorney told CBS News the letter is "a fake" saying "R. Kelly can't read, write or type. He didn't send any letter."

Rodgers' attorney said of Kelly's future: "You better think of something quick. You're running out of time."

"Mr. Kelly, your disgusting tactics will not prevent women who allege that they were victimized from telling their truth."

Last week, an arrest warrant was issued for his former manager, James Mason, for an incident report in May 2018 where threats were made against one of the girls' fathers. The report quoted Mason threatening to kill Timothy Savage and family: "I'm going to do harm to you and your family, when I see you I'm gonna get you, I'm going to f**king kill you," Mason was quoted as saying in the police report, obtained by CNN.

As women come forward post the "Surviving R. Kelly" documentary, Kelly maintains his innocence.
Steven Greenberg, told NBC News that neither he nor Kelly has watched the documentary and said of the accusers, "They're just haters trying to ruin his career."

Several artists have spoken out in support of the accusers, including John Legend, Keke Palmer, Lady Gaga, and even Kelly's own daughter, Joann Kelly. Celine Dion and Chance the Rapper have reportedly pulled their music collaborations with him from streaming services.

Rodgers said she could forgive Kelly, but also believes he should be in jail. Additionally, she said: " He needs help not only mental help he needs spiritual help."

Reader Question: Do you think this letter will result in charges being brought against Kelly?

Touré

Fresh off the whirlwind success of Lifetime Network's controversial "Surviving R. Kelly" documentary, longtime music journalist Touré, one of the many high-profiled contributors featured in the series, has been accused of sexual harassment by his former makeup artist.

Read More Show Less

R. Kelly's Own Daughter Calls Him A 'Monster'

All three of his children, and his ex-wife, have not spoken to him in years.

Singer Buku Abi, real name Joann Kelly, posted on Instagram saying she was "devastated" by the recent accusations in the documentary "Surviving R. Kelly."

The 20-year-old said she hasn't seen or spoken to him in years, calling him a "terrible" father.

Read More Show Less

Beyoncé's Parents Kept Destiny's Child Away From R. Kelly


There were repeated requests by him and his label to work with the teenage girls. Matthew Knowles, said of the girls: "They did not leave our eyes."

REUTERS

Beyoncé's father, Matthew Knowles said Destiny's Child stayed away from R. Kelly because they had heard of his reputation back in the late '90s.

"The girls were 15, 16," he said. "When they went to the bathroom, Tina would go with them. They did not leave our eyes."

Read More Show Less

CBS Denies Les Moonves $120M Severance Package

An investigation found there were grounds to terminate Moonves for cause.

CBS former chairman and chief executive Leslie Moonves will not receive his $120 million severance package.

Read More Show Less

Russell Simmons Has to Face His Accuser in Court

Simmons previously said: "I vehemently deny all the [rape] allegations made against me."

A judge has determined that hip-hop mogul, Russell Simmons, will indeed have his day in court to face one of the women accusing him of rape.

Read More Show Less

Homophobe Body Shaming Racists at Dolce & Gabbana Finally Getting Some Pay Back After Racist Videos

Instagram post of Gabbana describing China as a "country of s***" follows a racist promotional video. Store closings, product purges and "not me" protests outside stores going strong. Nice job, fellas.

Dolce & Gabbana is facing backlash from racist ads that promoted a Shanghai fashion show featuring the luxury brand's collection. And, racist comments posted on co-founder Stefano Gabbana's personal Instagram account have caused celebrities to withdraw support for the brand.

Read More Show Less

Dartmouth Professors Allegedly Used Their Positions to Sexually Assault Students

One of the predators, when sexual advances were refused, would "deprive [a female student] of academic guidance and refuse to schedule meetings to discuss her research," according to the lawsuit.

Todd F. Heatherton, William M. Kelley, and Paul J. Whalen are all under criminal investigation for sexual assault of their students at the Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences.

Dartmouth, in Havover, N.H., and seven women have filed a $70 million lawsuit alleging the attacks.

Read More Show Less

MeToo: Google Employees Walked Out By the Thousands

Outrage over Andy Rubin's $90 million payout questioned company core values and diversity.

TWITTER

A recent New York Times report that said Google gave millions of dollars to some executives, like Andy Rubin ($90 million) in secret exit packages after they were accused of sexual misconduct.

The report sparked outrage among employees who organized via social media and yesterday walked out of offices around the world by the thousands.

Zurich, Dublin, Singapore, London and Hyderabad, India, and multiple U.S offices participated in the Google Walkout For Real Change.

Read More Show Less

#MeToo: Zoe Kravitz Says She Was Sexually Harassed on a Movie Set

The incident occurred when she was just nineteen.

Zoe Kravitz (r) and her mother, Lisa Bonert (l)

Zoe Kravitz is speaking out on being sexually harassed on a movie set by a unnamed director when she was a mere nineteen years-old.

Read More Show Less
© Copyright 2018 — DiversityInc All Rights Reserved.