No. 33 | Southern Company
- President, Chairman and CEO Tom Fanning chairs the executive diversity council which meets monthly. He also sets the agenda and ties executive compensation to council goals.
- Southern Company offers an enhanced health and wellness program for all benefit-eligible employees, which include benefits such as health education and customized wellness and health management programs.
- Southern Company’s strategy includes identifying talent sources for individuals with disabilities (IWDs) including the state Vocational Rehabilitation Offices and local community or veteran groups that serve the IWD community.
FROM THE COMPANY
Southern Company‘s longstanding commitment to diversity and inclusion is reflected in our values, which encourage us to embrace, respect and value our differences. By doing so, we are better able to anticipate change, see around corners and achieve success in an ever-evolving energy landscape. We haven’t used a one-size-fits-all approach across our companies as the nature of our business requires diverse skill sets across a variety of urban and rural settings. We take pride that our operating companies have had the flexibility to develop strategies that fit their unique needs. Our approach is to:
- Meet the requirements of our business by attracting, developing, and retaining top, diverse talent and creating an environment in which every employee can contribute and reach his or her full potential.
- Develop and sustain relationships with diverse suppliers to broaden access to products and services and provide economic inclusion.
- Form partnerships to ensure the growth and vitality of the diverse communities we serve and in which we work and live and create business alliances.
Chief Executive Officer
“Southern Company is committed to creating a workplace environment where employees from different backgrounds and perspectives can realize their full potential. Our longstanding commitment to diversity and inclusion is embedded in our culture, and allows us to better anticipate change, see around corners and achieve success as we lead the effort of building the future of energy.”
Sloane N. Drake
Senior Vice President of Human Resources
“At Southern Company, our values drive our culture, guide our decisions, and are key to our sustained success. We believe how we do our work is just as important as what we do. For us that means having a diverse workforce and an inclusive workplace where all our people can thrive and feel like they belong.”
U.S. Headquarters: Atlanta, Ga.
Global Employees: 29,000
Last Year’s DiversityInc Top 50 Ranking • No. 44
OTHER DIVERSITYINC LISTS
- No. 9 Veterans