No. 19 | Southern Company
Tom FanningPresident, Chairman and CEO
“We are committed to being a role model among companies forging change. Southern Company is transitioning toward a more holistic goal of diversity, equity and inclusion to ensure all groups, and especially historically underrepresented and marginalized groups, are well represented, included and fairly treated within all levels of the organization and that everyone feels welcomed, valued and respected.”
Sloane DrakeSenior Vice President of Human Resources
“Our people are the power of Southern Company. Their energy enables us to build a brighter future for our customers and the communities we call home. We drive results by valuing different opinions, backgrounds and experiences, and by welcoming diverse points of view. We celebrate our progress and are committed to a diverse and inclusive organization.”
From The Company
At Southern Company, our approach to diversity and inclusion is embedded in Our Values, and we are focused on deliberately applying this approach in all we do in practical, measurable ways.
- We are meeting the requirements of our business by attracting, developing and retaining top, diverse talent, and creating an environment in which every employee can contribute and reach their full potential.
- We are developing and sustaining relationships with diverse suppliers to broaden access to products and services, and to facilitate economic inclusion.
- We are forming partnerships and creating business alliances to help ensure the growth and vitality of the diverse communities we serve, and in which we live, work and serve.
Southern Company continues to promote DE&I, racial equity and social justice. Highlights of our efforts thus far include the following:
- Our commitment to advancing equity and inclusion means being open about how we are holding ourselves accountable to ensure change. See our 2021 Transformation Report.
- Our charitable foundations are committing $225 million through 2025 to advance racial equity and social justice in our communities.
U.S. Headquarters: Atlanta, GA
Global Employees: 27,000
2021 DiversityInc Top 50 Ranking: No. 20
Official Company Socials
YouTube: Southern Company
Other DiversityInc Lists
No. 1, Top Companies for Black Executives
No. 4, Top Companies for Supplier Diversity
No. 7, Top Companies for Veterans
No. 8, Top Companies for Executive Diversity Councils
No. 33, Top Companies for Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG)