No. 20 | Southern Company
Tom FanningPresident, Chairman and CEO
“We are committed to being a role model among companies forging change. Southern Company has embraced a more holistic goal of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion to help ensure that all groups — especially historically underrepresented and marginalized groups — are well-represented and fairly treated within all levels of the organization and that all our employees feel welcomed, included, valued and respected.”
Sloane DrakeSenior Vice President of Human Resources
“At Southern Company, we faced the challenges posed by the pandemic and the movement for racial and social justice head-on. Not only did we renew our commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, we also took a moment to look within and reflect — individually and as an organization — to ensure our efforts were not just reactive or a one-off event.
“As a Black woman who has spent her career at Southern Company, I have never been prouder to be part of this team.”
From The Company
At Southern Company, our approach to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DE&I) is embedded in Our Values, and we are intentional in applying this approach in all we do in practical, measurable ways.
We are focused on:
- Meeting the requirements of our business by attracting, developing and retaining top, diverse talent and creating an environment in which every employee can contribute and reach their full potential
- Developing and sustaining relationships with diverse suppliers to broaden access to products and services, and to facilitate economic inclusion
- Forming partnerships and business alliances to help ensure the growth and vitality of the diverse communities in which we live, work and serve
Recognizing that our nation is at a critical juncture with respect to social justice, Southern Company redoubled its DE&I efforts and commitment to racial equity in 2020. While this work is ongoing, some highlights of our efforts thus far are as follows:
- Southern Company has launched a website detailing our commitment to social justice and racial equity. This site includes videos, podcasts and other educational resources designed to help readers better understand both overt and systemic racism.
- Southern Company and the charitable foundations of its subsidiaries are committing $200 million over five years to advance racial equity and social justice in our communities.
- Together with Apple, Southern Company announced the creation of the Propel Center, a new digital learning hub, business incubator and global innovation headquarters for students of historically Black colleges and universities (HBCUs). To be located in Atlanta, the Center will be available to students of HBCUs nationwide.
- Mississippi Power President and CEO Anthony Wilson successfully joined more than 100 state business leaders in signing a full-page ad published last year in newspapers across Mississippi, lending their support to legislators to remove Confederate imagery from the state flag.
U.S. Headquarters: Atlanta, GA
Global Employees: 27,000
2020 DiversityInc Top 50 Ranking: No. 26
Official Company Socials
YouTube: Southern Company
Other DiversityInc Lists
No. 12, Top Companies for Supplier Diversity
No. 25, Top Companies for Employee Resource Groups (ERG)
No. 4, Top Companies for Veterans
No. 7, Top Companies for Board of Directors
No. 3, Top Companies for Black Executives
Among the Top Companies for Environmental, Social & Governance (ESG)