No. 26 | Southern Company
Tom FanningPresident, Chairman and CEO
“Southern Company is committed to creating a workplace environment where employees from different backgrounds and perspectives can realize their full potential. Our longstanding commitment to diversity and inclusion is embedded in our culture, and allows us to better anticipate change, see around corners and achieve success as we lead the effort of building the future of energy.”
Sloane DrakeSenior Vice President of Human Resources
“Our people are the power of Southern Company. Their energy enables us to build a brighter future for our customers and the communities we call home. We drive results by valuing different opinions, backgrounds and experiences, and by welcoming diverse points of view. We celebrate our progress and are committed to a diverse and inclusive organization.”
- Southern Company discusses cultural issues openly. Its “Lunch Table Series” podcast is an unscripted dialogue that discusses cultural matters at the company. Recent episodes covered Black History Month and Women’s History Month.
- Southern Company’s diversity strategy involves developing and sustaining relationships with diverse suppliers, including women and minority-owned businesses to broaden access to products and foster economic inclusion. Its code of ethics for diverse suppliers ensures those they work with run ethical and responsible businesses.
- Southern Company is committed to having a positive environmental impact. It is transitioning toward a low carbon future and has established a goal of reducing its carbon emissions by 50% by 2030 and a long-term goal of low- to no-carbon emissions by 2050, along with continuing reliable and affordable service to customers.
In The News
- Southern Company’s Lunch Table Series Highlights Cultural Issues
- Southern Company — Alabama Power Foundation Awards Classroom Grants
- Southern Company Announces a $50 million Initiative for Students at Historically Black Colleges and Universities
Other DiversityInc Lists
- No. 6 Board of Directors
- No. 8 ERGs
- No. 2 Veterans
- No. 7 Supplier Diversity
From The Company
At Southern Company, our approach to diversity and inclusion is embedded in our values, and we are focused on deliberately applying this approach in all we do in practical, measurable ways.
We are focused on:
- Meeting the requirements of our business by attracting, developing and retaining top, diverse talent, and creating an environment in which every employee can contribute and reach his or her full potential.
- Developing and sustaining relationships with diverse suppliers, including women- and minority-owned businesses, to broaden access to products and services and to facilitate economic inclusion.
- Forming partnerships and creating business alliances to help ensure the growth and vitality of the diverse communities we serve, and in which we live, work and serve.
In 2019, Southern Company and its subsidiaries announced a $50 million multi-year initiative to provide students attending historically Black colleges and universities (HBCUs) with scholarships, internships, leadership development, and access to technology and innovation to support career readiness. This initiative will provide support for students attending select HBCUs within the Southern Company system’s service footprint in Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee and Virginia.
U.S. Headquarters: Atlanta, GA.
U.S. Employees: ~27,000
2019 DiversityInc Top 50 Ranking: No. 33