The distancing from Donald Trump following hisderogatory commentsabout Mexicans continues, with one of his closest allies PGA golf now moving one of its biggest events from Trump’s golf courses.
The PGA of America on Tuesday said that this year’s PGA Grand Slam of Golf will be moved from theTrump National Golf Club inLos Angeles to a new location, yet to be determined.The two-day tournament, scheduled for October, is an exhibition event that involves the winners of the year’s four major championships of regular men’s golf.
“The PGA of America met with Donald J. Trump yesterday and the parties mutually agreed that it isin the best interest of all not to conduct the 2015 PGA Grand Slam of Golf at Trump NationalLos Angeles,” the association saidin a statementTuesday. “The PGA of America is in the process of exploring options, including a venue for its annual PGA Junior League Golf Championship, and will comment further at the appropriate time.”
Last week, following announcements from companies including Univision, NBCUniversal and Macy’s that they were cutting ties with Trump, the real estate investor and presidential candidate said the golf community wasstill behind him“because they all know I’m right.”
And while the PGA of America, PGA Tour, LPGA and USGA all with direct connections to Trump quickly issued a joint statement refuting his claims that the golf world is behind him, they stopped short of taking any action or canceling any events scheduled to take place at several of Trump’s nearly two dozen golf courses.
But it appears that by this week the pressure on the PGA was too great, especially afterESPN on Monday announced in astatementthat it would move its upcoming ESPY Celebrity Golf Classic from the Trump National Golf Club to Pelican Hill Golf Club in Los Angeles on July 14.
“We decided it was appropriate to change the venue, and are grateful for the opportunity to stage the event at Pelican Hill on short notice,” ESPN said. “Diversity and inclusion are core values at ESPN and our decision also supports that commitment.”
Trump released a statement late Tuesday afternoon responding sarcastically to ESPN andNASCAR’s announcement last week that it will no longer be holding its season-ending awards ceremony at Trump National Doral near Miami.
“The disassociation of ESPN and NASCAR with the Trump Organization was covered by the press in headlines all over the world as though it was a major setback for me,” Trump wrote. “Really What were the losses
“One NASCAR banquet in a magnificent ballroom at Trump National Doral in Miami for which I will keep their very substantial deposit and rent the ballroom to someone else that night in other words, two fees instead of one (NASCAR has already apologized to me)!” He continued: “In the case of ESPN they lost a large deposit. I will now let people use the course on that day, receiving substantial additional greens fee income. Again, I get two fees instead of one.” Trump did not mention the PGA in his statement.
On the political campaign front,meanwhile, Trump couldn’t help himself this past weekend after receiving some criticism from rival Republican presidential candidate Jeb Bush over his comments calling Mexicans “rapists.” Speaking toreporters in New Hampshire, Bush said he does not think Trump “represents the Republican Party, and his views are way out of the mainstream of what most Republicans think.”
So, in response, Trump posted, then deleted, a tweet suggesting that Bush”has to like the Mexican Illegals” because he is married to a Mexican woman.