Michael DowlingPresident and CEO
“The focus on diversity and inclusion is central to our culture and mission — it defines who we have been and who we are. In its absence, you cannot claim to be serving your community.”
Jennifer H. MieresMD SVP and Chief Diversity Officer
“On our to journey to health equity and the elimination of health disparities, Northwell Health is taking a leadership role in providing the resources and strategies necessary for an expanded healthcare delivery model fostering an inclusive workplace and partners with its communities to provide culturally sensitive healthcare.”
- The research arm of Northwell Health, the Feinstein Institutes for Medical Research, teamed up with others to identify treatments for people hospitalized with moderate to severe cases of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19).
- Northwell has multiple business employee resource groups (BERGs) that focus on cultural and gender diversity, as well as the LGBTQ+ movement and veterans.
- Northwell’s diversity mentoring and development programs have a special focus on women, community health workers and women in science. It also includes a diversity and inclusion council.
In The News
- Northwell Health’s Feinstein Institutes Teams Up with Sanofi, Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Gilead Sciences to Test COVID-19 Treatments
Other DiversityInc Lists
- No. 1 Top Hospitals & Health Systems
From The Company
Eliminating health care disparities:
In response to addressing disparities in health and health care and improving quality and patient safety in diverse populations, we enhanced the accurate collection and use of race, ethnicity and preferred language data as part of the American Hospital Association Equity of Care Pledge.
By establishing a hospital-specific patient dashboard focused on race, ethnicity, language, and sexual orientation and preferred gender data, resulting in improved communication, emergency room operational measures and overall patient experience of our diverse communities.
Developing a culturally sensitive workforce:
- Expanded our cultural competency and unconscious bias training programs by partnering with the Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra-Northwell to deploy a virtual reality (VR) racism experience as a component of professional development for 128 medical school faculty and senior health system leaders (i.e. CMO, CNO, COO, CAO). Participants individually experienced a 20-minute VR element, followed by a group debrief and a separate interactive session on micro-aggressions.
Growing our pipeline of diverse talent:
Northwell’s data continues to show improvement in the diversity of our talent at all levels including leadership. Northwell Health continues to increase the percentage of diverse executive hires and physician leaders.
- The improvement in our diverse pipeline is in response to our diversity strategy that includes the implementation of three business critical mentoring programs to address the needs of our diverse talent community including a diverse mentoring program to support Northwell Health’s next generation of diverse leaders and who are ready to take the next steps in their career path; a Women’s Mentorship Program that pairs women with senior executive women throughout Northwell Health to fulfill a need for mentorship, networking, and professional development; and, an LGBTQ mentoring program in partnership with the Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra-Northwell and LGBTQ physicians to support the need for networking, career and professional development.
- Expanded our business employee resources groups to include a Women in Healthcare BERG to address the talent needs of women at Northwell who comprise 70% of our workforce
Fostering relationships with our diverse suppliers:
- Hosted a Healthcare Symposium in partnership with the New York/New Jersey Minority Supplier Development Council, where over 100 vendors explored potential business opportunities with Northwell.
U.S. Headquarters: Lake Success, NY
Global Employees: 68,068