No. 20 | Nielsen
David KennyChief Executive Officer / Chief Diversity Officer
“I’m personally invested in ensuring that Nielsen is a welcoming, inclusive place where our people can be their best selves. As a company that’s the source of truth for the clients and consumers we serve, every voice must be represented in our people and products — so that when we measure, we measure everyone.”
Sandra Sims-WilliamsSVP, Diversity & Inclusion
“To our talent, we want to be an employer of choice, to our community, we want to be an ally, and to our clients, we want to be a trusted and valued partner. Diversity and inclusion are key to unlocking the full potential of our business and our people.”
- Nielsen engages its workers through its employee resource groups (ERGs), which have more than 7,000 active members globally. These groups are designed to foster inclusivity, drive business growth through diversity and inclusion and engage employees.
- Nielsen’s CEO David Kenny signed the Leading Executives Advancing Diversity (LEAD) pledge on International Women’s Day in 2019. The LEAD pledge lays out a plan for Nielsen to advance women at the company through coaching, mentoring, diverse hiring slates, pay and promotion equity, leverage ERGs and leveraging anti-bias education.
- Nielsen’s Diverse Leadership Network (DLN) is a 15-month leadership development program that focuses on building diverse talent within the company. It’s designed to build a strong, diverse leadership pipeline by identifying, developing and accelerating diverse talent.
In The News
- Op-Ed by Nielsen — It’s Time for Facts, Not Fear: Asian-Americans Are Doing Their Part
- Nielsen’s Cheryl Grace Discusses ‘New Black Renaissance’ in Consumer Trends
- Nielsen Earns Seventh Consecutive Perfect Score in 2020 Human Rights Campaign’s Corporate Equality Index
Other DiversityInc Lists
- No. 7 Board of Directors
- No. 12 ERGs
From The Company
2019 D&I accomplishments:
- Ranked #2 in Forbes’ 10 Best Employers for Diversity in 2019.
- AdWeek profiled 7 companies that show a commitment to supporting Latinx culture, and Nielsen was one of them.
- For the first time, the Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index (GEI) recognized Nielsen as one of 230 global leaders in advancing women through measurement and transparency.
- Earned our first ever top 100% score on the Disability Equality Index.
- Inclusive hiring: For every open role, there is a diverse slate of potential candidates and interviewers. All interviewers take unconscious bias training to help ensure they are fair and inclusive when interviewing candidates.
- D&I is embedded into performance reviews. Associates must state how they have been proactive in embracing D&I e.g. by their participation in ERGs increasing the number of diverse team members.
- Re-imagined ERGs: For more impact on our business and communities, we created local Inclusion Impact Teams to drive associate engagement with our ERG programs.
- CEO/CDO chats with associates in offices and through Google Hangouts.
- Diversity Dialogues: Webinars with associates to explore issues related to ethnicity, disabilities, mental health or other areas that can be barriers to personal and professional growth.
U.S. Headquarters: New York, NY
Global Employees: 46,000
2019 DiversityInc Top 50 Ranking: No. 16