Wyndham Worldwide (No. 27 on the DiversityInc Top 50 Companies list) has been recognized by the Hispanic Association on Corporate Responsibility (HACR) for the Company's efforts to include Hispanics in employment, procurement, philanthropy and governance. Attaining a score of 90, this year marks Wyndham Worldwide's highest rating since its participation in the HACR Corporate Inclusion Index, which has been conducted annually since 2009.
"The HACR recognition reinforces the ongoing commitment we have made to focusing on Hispanic inclusiveness," said Patricia Lee, senior vice president of Human Resources and chief diversity officer, Wyndham Worldwide. "As a global hospitality leader, we see our diverse workforce as a competitive advantage, infusing different perspectives and reflecting the customers and the communities we serve."
Wyndham Worldwide's diversity and inclusion strategy provides a positive and inclusive work environment for all associates to achieve their fullest potential.
"Wyndham has given me opportunities to educate myself, and to grow as a person and as a professional," said Carolina Costa, director, Accounts Payable, Wyndham Worldwide. "I started at Wyndham as a temp while attending college shortly after I moved to the United States from Colombia, and now as a director, I manage several key systems across the Company. With the support of managers and executives, I've been able exceed my dreams, even being named a finalist for the Chairman's Award for Innovation from Chairman and CEO Stephen Holmes, the most coveted and prestigious award within the Company."
Recognizing the business case for diversity, Wyndham Worldwide embraces a culture of inclusion that supports its associates and its business goals. From providing forums for discussing the unique perspectives of Wyndham Worldwide's Hispanic workforce to increasing the Company's presence in Latin America, Wyndham Worldwide participates in a range of programs and initiatives to cultivate a fully diverse company:
- Associate Business Group: ¡FUERTE! is an associate business group that provides a positive and inclusive forum for the unique insights of the Hispanic/Latino culture to contribute to the success of the Company and within our communities. Open to all associates, the group provides professional opportunities to members and gives a voice to the Company's Hispanic/Latino associates, who in turn expand the Company's perspective about this growing population.
- Consumer Focus: Recognizing that embracing inclusivity is simply good business, Wyndham Worldwide appeals to diverse consumers. For example, during Hispanic Heritage Month, the Company invited associates to participate in a learning lab regarding Wyndham Worldwide's Hispanic Market Initiative. The discussion explored the Hispanic marketplace's rapid growth and opportunities for the Company to reach this powerful demographic in a meaningful way.
- Business Expansion: Earlier this month, Wyndham Hotel Group announced the acquisition of Fën Hotels, dramatically expanding the Company's presence in Latin America with hotels across Argentina, Peru, Costa Rica, Uruguay, Paraguay and Bolivia. This acquisition will allow Wyndham Worldwide to grow faster in the region and to improve its ability to offer unique vacation experiences around the globe.
- Community Engagement: During Hispanic Heritage Month, Wyndham Worldwide hosted several events, including a keynote address by Cid Wilson, CEO and President of the Hispanic Association on Corporate Responsibility (HACR). Mr. Wilson shared how HACR directs programs and initiatives aimed at encouraging Fortune 500 companies to strengthen Hispanic inclusion and highlighted ways associates can become involved in HACR's 2017 Leadership Development Program. In addition, Wyndham Worldwide has partnered with the Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute to provide college scholarships to deserving students of Hispanic descent.
- Diversity & Inclusion Programs: The Company offers a variety of diversity and inclusion programs for all associates, including leadership training programs, mentoring opportunities, educational support and networking events. For example, this year Wyndham Worldwide hosted a discussion for our associates, led by several Hispanic business leaders within the Company who shared their experiences and showcased how their unique perspective helps drive understanding and success within the Hispanic marketplace.
Supporting all associates is an important aspect of Wyndham Worldwide's commitment to diversity and inclusion, and the Company regularly recognizes the outstanding achievements of young Hispanic associates through nominations to the HACR Young Hispanic Corporate Achievers (YHCA) program. Wyndham Worldwide has had six national award recipients of the YHCA program since 2011.
Wyndham Worldwide's participation in the HACR Corporate Inclusion Index reflects the Company's commitment to the U.S. Hispanic community, and provides a snapshot of Corporate America's Hispanic inclusion efforts. According to the U.S. Department of Labor, Hispanics last year made up 17 percent of the overall U.S. labor market. As of December 2016, Hispanics comprised nearly 19 percent of Wyndham Worldwide's U.S. workforce.
To access the 2016 HACR CII report, please visit www.hacr.org.