CBS Denies Les Moonves $120M Severance Package
An investigation found there were grounds to terminate Moonves for cause.
CBS former chairman and chief executive Leslie Moonves will not receive his $120 million severance package.
The network said, in a statement on Monday evening, after reviewing the results of a sexual misconduct probe it was determined that Moonves misled the company. The board of directors said he would be fired for cause, which means an exit payout won't occur.
"With regard to Mr. Moonves, we have determined that there are grounds to terminate for cause, including his willful and material misfeasance, violation of company policies and breach of his employment contract, as well as his willful failure to cooperate fully with the Company's investigation," the statement said.
Moonves resigned in September amid allegations against him of sexual assault and harassment. His resignation came after six more women accused him of misconduct, which was detailed in a report published in the New Yorker magazine in July. The women said the incidences occurred between the 1980s and early 2000s. There were claims of forced sex, Moonves exposing himself and his alleged use of physical violence and intimidation.
Before his resignation, the company's board of directors allowed Moonves to remain at the helm while the investigation took place.
There was also an investigation conducted into the "cultural issues" at the network. It reportedly did not turn up evidence of persistent problems related to harassment and retaliation. However, it noted that investigators did uncover incidents of "improper and unprofessional conduct."
It was concluded that the company was not providing sufficient resources to its human resources department or for diversity and inclusion initiatives.
Alex Jones, founder of Infowars, has also been accused of sexual harassment. He allegedly grabbed a Black employee's backside saying: "Who wouldn't want a Black wife?"
Six months after major social media channels such as YouTube and Twitter banned Alex Jones' Infowars, Roku, a streaming service, added a channel for the show's 24 million users. Apparently, there has been a channel for the show on Roku for years, according to Roku spokesman Eric Savitz.
"You better think of something quick. You're running out of time," said Faith Rodgers attorney, of R. Kelly.
Faith Rodgers , 21, spoke to New York police Monday and unveiled a threatening letter allegedly written by R. Kelly last October.
Rodgers is suing Kelly for nonconsensual acts he allegedly forced her into in 2017, when she was 19.
In the notarized letter to attorney Gloria Allred, who is representing Rodgers, Kelly allegedly wrote "if she persists in court action, she will be subjected to public opinion," that she should have test results "proving the origin of her STD claim." The letter also said Kelly would request "10 personal male witnesses testifying about her sex life."
"If Ms. Rodgers really cares about her own reputation, she should cease her participation and association with the organizers of this negative campaign," the letter allegedly signed by Kelly says.
Kelly's attorney told CBS News the letter is "a fake" saying "R. Kelly can't read, write or type. He didn't send any letter."
Rodgers' attorney said of Kelly's future: "You better think of something quick. You're running out of time."
"Mr. Kelly, your disgusting tactics will not prevent women who allege that they were victimized from telling their truth."
Last week, an arrest warrant was issued for his former manager, James Mason, for an incident report in May 2018 where threats were made against one of the girls' fathers. The report quoted Mason threatening to kill Timothy Savage and family: "I'm going to do harm to you and your family, when I see you I'm gonna get you, I'm going to f**king kill you," Mason was quoted as saying in the police report, obtained by CNN.
As women come forward post the "Surviving R. Kelly" documentary, Kelly maintains his innocence.
Steven Greenberg, told NBC News that neither he nor Kelly has watched the documentary and said of the accusers, "They're just haters trying to ruin his career."
Several artists have spoken out in support of the accusers, including John Legend, Keke Palmer, Lady Gaga, and even Kelly's own daughter, Joann Kelly. Celine Dion and Chance the Rapper have reportedly pulled their music collaborations with him from streaming services.
Rodgers said she could forgive Kelly, but also believes he should be in jail. Additionally, she said: " He needs help not only mental help he needs spiritual help."
Reader Question: Do you think this letter will result in charges being brought against Kelly?
Pot, meet kettle.
Fresh off the whirlwind success of Lifetime Network's controversial "Surviving R. Kelly" documentary, longtime music journalist Touré, one of the many high-profiled contributors featured in the series, has been accused of sexual harassment by his former makeup artist.
All three of his children, and his ex-wife, have not spoken to him in years.
Singer Buku Abi, real name Joann Kelly, posted on Instagram saying she was "devastated" by the recent accusations in the documentary "Surviving R. Kelly."
The 20-year-old said she hasn't seen or spoken to him in years, calling him a "terrible" father.
There were repeated requests by him and his label to work with the teenage girls. Matthew Knowles, said of the girls: "They did not leave our eyes."
Beyoncé's father, Matthew Knowles said Destiny's Child stayed away from R. Kelly because they had heard of his reputation back in the late '90s.
"The girls were 15, 16," he said. "When they went to the bathroom, Tina would go with them. They did not leave our eyes."
Free Daily Newsletter
We won't share your email with anyone.
Simmons previously said: "I vehemently deny all the [rape] allegations made against me."