No. 36 | General Motors
“Our transition to an all-electric future is just as much about our people as it is about the technology, and we firmly believe that our diverse talent is central to the innovation that is driving our industry forward. We’re committed to ensuring that this transition is equitable and inclusive and we will continue to foster a culture where everyone feels that they belong.”
Telva McGruderChief of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
“Our goal is to create a climate where everyone is valued for who they are, and able to contribute in a way that elevates their skills and passions while working as one team to grow our business. Galvanizing our global team in trust, transparency and innovation will allow us to not only lead the industry but more positively impact communities and the world.”
From The Company
GM has committed $10 million from our Justice & Inclusion Fund toward organizations that promote inclusion and social justice in the areas of health, education, economic empowerment and public policy. We’ve also made progress in other areas, including:
- Continuing to contribute philanthropic dollars to organizations that are creating positive social and generational impact for historically underrepresented communities.
- Launched two new internal and external people storytelling series called #GMVoices and Everybody Has a Story which leverage our corporate platforms to amplify the company’s diverse voices and encourage candid conversations about topics like representation, advocacy and allyship.
- Embarked on the company’s workforce transformation strategy with the mission of enhancing our employee experience through investments in our talent as we transition to an all-electric future.
- Reimagined our hiring practices to make more equitable opportunities and create new career pathways for diverse talent by opening positions to the non-degreed candidates and focusing on apprenticeship-style career opportunities.
- Launched the industry-first five-point diverse media plan which reinforced GM’s commitment to relationships with diverse media and through the plan, enables engagement, economic empowerment and sustainable growth with diverse media.
- To learn more about the latest DE&I progress at GM, check out the company’s 2022 Sustainability Report here.
U.S. Headquarters: Detroit, MI
Global Employees: 155,000
2021 DiversityInc Top 50 Ranking: No. 38
Official Company Socials
Facebook: General Motors
LinkedIn: General Motors
Other DiversityInc Lists
No. 4, Top Companies for Employee Resource Groups (ERG)
No. 8, Top Companies for Board of Directors
No. 29, Top Companies for Environmental, Social & Governance (ESG)