Diversity, equity and inclusion at Marriott International is about energizing leaders to champion our culture every day and ensuring all associates feel they belong and have opportunities to succeed, learn and grow. It’s a business imperative for us and an essential part of our people-first culture. We are honored to have our journey recognized by DiversityInc and proud to be a member of the Hall of Fame.
Diversity, equity and inclusion is at the heart of everything we do – and always has been. Since our inception 95 years ago, our founders began the practice and created the expectation that we take care of our associates. Today, our company purpose is to connect people through the power of travel – all people. To do this well, our workforce must represent the breadth of global travelers we welcome every day. Beyond representation, Marriott International is known as a place where everyone belongs – and this is what I am most proud of.
From The Company
Marriott International’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion has always been a business imperative. Highlights from 2021 include:
- Advanced our objectives to diversify our leadership (at the vice president level and above) by accelerating our efforts to achieve global gender parity in Company leadership by 2023, which is two years earlier than our original goal. We are also establishing a new objective to increase the representation of people of color in executive positions in the U.S. to 25% by 2025.
- Created the Arne M. Sorenson Hospitality Fund to support programmatic and career development elements for the newly established Marriott-Sorenson Center for Hospitality Leadership at Howard University, an HBCU. Marriott International pledged the first donation of $1 million to support the fund. The Marriott-Sorenson Center was established with a $20 million endowment from The J. Willard and Alice S. Marriott Foundation (a private family foundation) in honor and memory of Marriott’s former CEO, who passed away in 2021 from pancreatic cancer.
- Established a new Diversity and Inclusion Talent Council comprised of cross-discipline leaders to help drive outcomes in achieving our diverse recruitment and talent strategy.
- Continued our global series of virtual town halls featuring our CEO and senior leaders openly sharing their perspectives and associate feedback on our fight against racism, the advancement of equality and justice in society, mental health and wellbeing, and organizational leadership where associates at all levels lead.
- Created “Become,” a new career growth and development program for all associates, launched in February of 2022. Become encourages continuous learning and growth with vast resources accessible on our Digital Learning Zone.
Top 50 Ranking History
|Top 50 Companies For Diversity||2020||1|