No. 6 | Comcast NBCUniversal
- Comcast NBCUniversal has an Internal Diversity Council comprised of senior executives who guide their respective business units in implementing and sustaining successful diversity and inclusion practices across the company.
- Comcast NBCUniversal hosted 29 external People with Disabilities (aka Mentors) and nearly 10 Community Partners, to come to the Comcast Center in Philadelphia for a day focused on career exposure and professional development.
- The company launched its first people with disabilities self-ID campaign focused on encouraging employees to self-identify and increasing education and awareness around Disability Inclusion.
- Comcast’s LGBTQ and ally-focused ERG has grown to 4,500 members across 20 chapters and they officer comprehensive LGBTQ benefits, including transgender-inclusive health benefits.
FROM THE COMPANY
At Comcast NBCUniversal, diversity and inclusion is not a program, it is the way we think and a part of our culture.
Our company has always operated with diversity and inclusion as a core value –from its founding 56 years ago, to the appointment of David Cohen as our first Chief Diversity Officer, who reports directly to our CEO. Since then, we’ve built a best-in-class D&I framework, we’ve made it measurable, and we hold ourselves accountable every day.
The foundation of our company is our people, and our diverse workforce is a huge part of what keeps us competitive in a constantly evolving business ecosystem. As of year-end 2018, we achieved over 60% diversity among our overall workforce, and we’re proud to say that 53% of our workforce now reports to a woman or person of color –a number that continues to increase year-over-year.
Through our eight Employee Resource Groups we encourage our employees to cultivate an inclusive employee experience with a focus on personal and professional development, mentorship, business product development and support, and providing volunteer support for the company’s local communities.
Open to all employees, our ERGs have grown to more than 31,000 members across more than 181 chapters, spanning all of our divisions and business units and with members from every level of the company.
We are also committed to expanding our workforce diversity programs, including training on diversity issues, professional development opportunities, and employee engagement initiatives. We continue to develop talent through a broad portfolio of leadership, mentoring and sponsorship opportunities that include approximately 100 internal and external programs.
While we have made tremendous strides, our D&I journey is far from complete, and we are committed to accomplishing even more as we build upon our successes.
Brian L. Roberts
Chairman and Chief Executive Officer
“It is an honor to receive this recognition alongside America’s corporate leaders in diversity and inclusion. Our commitment to D&I helps us foster a culture of awareness, respect, and inclusion –all key factors in helping us to deliver incredible technology, media, and entertainment.”
David L. Cohen
Senior Executive Vice President and Chief Diversity Officer
“Diversity and inclusion are essential to the innovative mindset that ties us directly to our customers and audiences. It is this approach that has helped our company to be more creative, innovative, and successful.”
U.S. Headquarters: Philadelphia, Pa.
Global Employees: 184,000
Last Year’s DiversityInc Top 50 Ranking • No. 7
OTHER DIVERSITYINC LISTS
- No. 4 Supplier Diversity
- No. 6 Veterans
- No. 8 Talent Acquisition
- No. 9 Employee Resource Groups
- No. 10 People with Disabilities
- No. 15 Executive Diversity Council
- LGBT Employees