No. 49 | AstraZeneca
“At AstraZeneca, we know that a team is at its most innovative when it is made up of people who think differently from one another, in an environment where different views and perspectives are welcomed and valued. This culture is fundamental to our efforts to push the boundaries of science and deliver life-changing medicines, unlocking challenges and bringing new solutions, encouraging constant learning and propelling growth for individuals in the team as well as for our company.
“Diversity must be recognized and celebrated, and I could not be prouder of the progress we continue to make to ensure that different perspectives, talents and ideas are harnessed, that our people feel able to ‘be themselves’ at work, and that our teams reflect the diversity of the communities in which we operate and the patients who are depending on us to bring forward scientific advances.”
Rebekah MartinSenior Vice President, Reward and Inclusion
“Championing Inclusion and Diversity is not only an important part of being a great place to work, it also benefits society as a whole. Our ongoing objective is to ensure that our organization represents community diversity at all levels, and that our culture is an inclusive one. Bringing together different thinking and unique perspectives is what gives AstraZeneca our competitive advantage. It’s what drives innovation and allows us to push the boundaries of science to deliver life-changing medicines to patients.”
From The Company
Inclusion and Diversity foster continuous innovation and constant learning and propel our growth as individuals and as a company. We also know that people are able to work better in environments where they feel safe and empowered. That is why we aim to create an inclusive workplace and a workforce that reflects our communities and the patients we help, delivering diversity of thought, incorporating cultural understanding and ultimately stimulating an atmosphere where our employees feel they belong.
To demonstrate our commitment to building an inclusive culture and diverse workforce, our Inclusion and Diversity strategy focuses on three priority areas:
- Empowering inclusive leadership
- Fostering an environment where we each “Speak Up” and speak our mind
- Building and sustaining a diverse leadership and talent pipeline.
We believe this commitment is fundamental to fueling the next wave of life-changing medicines that patients need and society values.
In 2020, we made a commitment to ensuring racial equity in our workplace and access to our medicines, in our clinical trials and beyond, including:
- Talent pipeline: Ensuring our workforce is representative of the communities in which we operate by attracting, retaining and developing talent from underrepresented groups
- Racial Fluency Training: Developing language and confidence to have open, meaningful conversations about race-related inclusion
- Healthcare equity: Sustainable commitment to partnership to close racial equity gaps in healthcare around the world
- Clinical trials: Ensuring that Inclusion and Diversity is addressed in the design and enrollment of our clinical trials to benefit diverse patient populations
- Supplier diversity: Ensuring that we consider diversity in our list of preferred suppliers to support the economic development of diverse groups.
Beyond our organization, in 2021 we joined, as a founding partner, the World Economic Forum’s Partnering for Racial Justice in Business initiative, a coalition of 48 organizations representing 13 industries, with more than 5.5 million employees. It’s focused on a commitment to eradicate racism in the workplace and sets new global standards for racial equity in business. It also provides a platform for businesses to advocate together for inclusive policy change.