No. 39 | American Family Insurance
“Embedding diversity, equity and inclusion into our strategic plan was critically important. It’s evident in our culture statement. It’s evident in our values. And we’ve placed it front and center as one of our strategic goals.”
Yasir KamalVice President, Inclusive Excellence
“From our board of directors to our leadership team and throughout our workforce at all levels, we are a better company if our diversity reflects that of our customers and communities. Among our strategic goals is increasing our racial and ethnic diversity by actively recruiting, developing and retaining diverse talent.”
From The Company
American Family is committed to cultivating a diverse workforce that reflects our customer demographics, and to building an inclusive culture that brings people together and empowers them to unleash their capabilities to create life-changing solutions for our customers and communities.
Among our accomplishments, we:
- Launched the Inclusive Excellence Data Hub, which increases transparency of people data and builds the capabilities of senior leaders and H.R. partners across the business to contribute to American Family’s enterprise diversity goal.
- Released the Inclusive Excellence Annual Report externally to share American Family Insurance’s strategic approach and to celebrate the advancement of diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives throughout the enterprise.
- Successfully completed the Inclusive Hiring Test & Learn, designed to mitigate bias in hiring and standardize recruitment best practices that enhance the diversity within our candidate pools. Findings from the pilot are being utilized to embed recruitment best practices across the enterprise.
- Enhanced existing resources for the Inclusion Index, which is drawn from the Enterprise Engagement Survey, to help teams hold space to have inclusive conversations in an effort to improve Inclusion Index scores. Enabled measurement of resource utilization to further help teams across the enterprise identify gaps and opportunities.
- Hosted pop-up conversations to support employees as they grappled with the impact of racial inequities in their communities and to educate on pressing social justice topics.
- Embedded Inclusive Excellence’s strategic objectives throughout the enterprise through the alignment of Advisors, expanding the capabilities of our HR and business partners through consulting and development opportunities.
- Introduced the 4C Model to assess strengths and areas of opportunity for American Family’s nine Business Resource Groups (BRGs) and to guide data-driven strategic planning.
- Expanded our Supplier Diversity program, garnering a designation as “Best of the Best” as a Top Supplier Diversity Program in a recent DiversityComm survey. Supplier Diversity Manager Anisha Jackson was recognized as the North Central Minority Supplier Development Council’s (NCMSD) 2021 Advocate of the Year for her efforts to promote long-term success for minority businesses.
American Family’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion is unwavering. Creating and fostering an inclusive culture is the right thing to do for our agency owners, employees, customers and communities — and it gives us a competitive edge in the marketplace.
U.S. Headquarters: Madison, WI
U.S. Employees: 13,686
2021 DiversityInc Top 50 Ranking: No. 48
Official Company Socials
Other DiversityInc Lists
No. 11, Top Companies for Philanthropy
No. 20, Top Companies for Environmental, Social & Governance (ESG)