No. 37 | Ally Financial
Jeffrey J. (JB) BrownCEO
“Ally’s commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion are woven into our culture and vital to our success, vital to our company’s purpose. We’re incredibly proud of the innovative programs we have that open pathways to economic mobility in diverse communities — closing the wealth gap, helping build financial and social equity and most critically, providing opportunities that can impact not just the individual, but whole families and communities for the better.”
Reggie WillisChief Diversity Officer
“Our DE&I journey is just that — a journey to Be (Even) Better as a workplace where everyone can be their whole selves.”
From The Company
Ally is proud of its purpose-driven culture that values all employees and the diverse perspectives they bring and has led to our inclusion on the DiversityInc Top 50 Companies list for a second year in a row. We continue to make progress on our efforts to create a safe workplace that promotes belonging and encourages individuals to bring their whole selves to work for the benefit of all stakeholders — from fellow employees to customers to community members. Some of our biggest accomplishments:
- Being the first big bank to eliminate overdraft fees, which significantly impact diverse consumers, women-led households and low-income communities. About 95% of consumers who paid overdraft fees are financially vulnerable and disproportionately Black and Hispanic/Latino.
- Increasing representation of women and people of color in our manager and above roles. About 36% of women or people of color were promoted to new roles to advance their careers and more than half of the Ally intern class was racially or ethnically diverse.
- Expanding access to capital for Black and Hispanic/Latino fund managers by investing $70 million in funds with diverse managers and owners.
- Growing minority and women supplier spending by about 50% to $21.8M in its first full year and laying the groundwork needed to significantly grow our diversity supplier program in 2021.
- Creating Fintropolis, a new world in Minecraft that teaches users basic financial concepts — saving, spending, credit and investing. Fintropolis, which was conceived of by four interns from HBCUs, has been downloaded about 2 million times.
- Launching campaigns with UnitedMasters talent agency and Milestone/DC Comics that elevate diverse creators in the music and comic fields.
- Increasing participation in Ally’s eight ERGs to nearly 45% all employees and hosting more than more than 200 ERG events.
- Earning a 100% rating and the designation of being a 2022 “Best Place to Work for LGBTQ+ Equality” by the Human Rights Campaign Foundation’s Corporate Equality Index (CEI) for the sixth year in a row.
- Reinforcing our commitment to provide inclusive benefits that are agnostic to gender and go well beyond requirements and remove biases to ensure that ALL employees get needed healthcare.
U.S. Headquarters: Detroit, MI
U.S. Employees: 10,700
2021 DiversityInc Top 50 Ranking: No. 40
Official Company Socials
Other DiversityInc Lists
No. 14, Top Companies for Talent Acquisition for Women of Color
No. 27, Top Companies for Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG)