Alabama Power Foundation donates two $20,000 grants to community organizations for disaster relief, among other company efforts.
Originally Published by Southern Company.
Alabama Power, the Alabama Power Foundation and the Alabama Power Service Organization (APSO) remain committed to helping restore normalcy to Lee County and supporting the victims of the March 3 tornadoes.
Company efforts began shortly after the storm hit, when crews throughout the state supported restoration efforts. Within 36 hours, all 26,000 customers affected by storms and who could take service had teir power restored.
Once initial restoration and rescue work was completed, the Alabama Power Foundation and APSO volunteers joined other organizations and businesses to support community needs.
“We have mobilized our resources – through both the Alabama Power Foundation and our employee-led volunteer organization APSO – to serve Lee County and the surrounding communities,” said Myla Calhoun, vice president of Alabama Power Charitable Giving and president of the Alabama Power Foundation. “These activities are core to our mission of supporting the communities we are honored to serve.”
The Alabama Power Foundation provided two $20,000 donations to disaster relief funds at the United Way of Lee County and the East Alabama Community Foundation. Funds will be used to support local recovery efforts.
Other volunteer efforts include:
- APCO Employees Credit Union disaster relief account: The Alabama Power Employees Credit Union has activated a disaster relief account to raise donations through Friday, March 15. The credit union will work with the Red Cross to purchase needed supplies with donated funds.
- Red Cross stations: APSO volunteers are coordinating with the Red Cross and Providence Baptist Church in Opelika to assist with sorting and preparing donations for distribution.
- APSO Chapter donation bins: APSO Chapters across the state are accepting donations to support recovery.
- Hygiene packs: APSO chapters are donating hygiene packs to victims.
- Eufaula Humane Society donation: The local APSO Chapter donated $500 to the Eufaula Humane Society, which was devastated by the storms.
- APSO volunteers at Red Cross telethon: APSO volunteers answered phones and took donations at the Red Cross’ telethon March 6.
To learn more about the charitable initiatives of the Alabama Power Foundation and how APSO members are helping build a better Alabama, visit https://powerofgood.com/.