Private sector employment increased by 742,000 jobs from March to April according to the April ADP National Employment Report. Broadly distributed to the public each month, free of charge, the ADP National Employment Report is produced by the ADP Research Institute in collaboration with Moody’s Analytics. The report, which is derived from ADP’s actual payroll data, measures the change in total nonfarm private employment each month on a seasonally adjusted basis.
April 2021 Report Highlights
Total U.S. Nonfarm Private Employment: 742,000
By Company Size:
Small businesses: 235,000
- 1-19 employees: 122,000
- 20-49 employees: 113,000
Medium businesses: 230,000
- 50-499 employees: 230,000
Large businesses: 277,000
- 500-999 employees: 84,000
- 1,000+ employees: 193,000
- Natural resources/mining: 10,000
- Construction: 41,000
- Manufacturing: 55,000
- Trade/transportation/utilities: 155,000
- Information: -3,000
- Financial activities: 11,000
- Professional/business services: 104,000
– Professional/technical services: 27,000
– Management of companies/enterprises: 5,000
– Administrative/support services: 72,000
- Education/health services: 92,000
– Health care/social assistance: 76,000
– Education: 16,000
- Leisure/hospitality: 237,000
- Other services: 40,000
* Sum of components may not equal total, due to rounding.
- Franchise jobs: 49,600
**Complete details on franchise employment can be found here.
“The labor market continues an upward trend of acceleration and growth, posting the strongest reading since September 2020,” said Nela Richardson, chief economist, ADP. “Service providers have the most to gain as the economy reopens, recovers and resumes normal activities and are leading job growth in April. While payrolls are still more than 8 million jobs short of pre-COVID-19 levels, job gains have totaled 1.3 million in the last two months after adding only about 1 million jobs over the course of the previous five months.”
The matched sample used to develop the ADP National Employment Report was derived from ADP payroll data, which represents 460,000 U.S. clients employing nearly 26 million workers in the U.S. The March total of jobs added was revised from 517,000 to 565,000.
To obtain additional information about the ADP National Employment Report, including additional charts, supporting data and the schedule of future release dates, or to subscribe to the monthly email alerts and RSS feeds, please visit www.adpemploymentreport.com.
The May 2021 ADP National Employment Report will be released at 8:15 a.m. ET on June 3, 2021.