Top Company for Employee Engagement: Toyota Motor North America
Accepting Award: George Borst, former President and CEO, Toyota Financial Services
Reasons for Honor:
- Toyota has used diversity-management best practices to enhance engagement of all its U.S. employees this year.
- Its mentoring program doubled in size with more than 1,000 employees being mentored by 600 mentors.
- Membership in resource groups has been rising dramatically and almost doubled this year.
- The company recognizes that its employees value community service and Toyota’s philanthropy—the amount donated to multicultural nonprofits rose by 24 percent to 42.5 percent of donations despite a reduction in gross annual revenue.
- The resource groups, known as Business Partnering Groups, pilot D&I training and cultural-competency initiatives, sponsor speakers, and conduct workshops for new trainees and associates.