Two Black Men Accused of Attempted Armed Robbery by White Man — Video Shows the Opposite

More racism in. St. Louis law enforcement. It took police six months to review the video evidence. Go figure.

Patrick John Owens / ST. LOUIS POLICE

Last summer, a white man told police two Black men attempted to rob him at gunpoint. It turns out it was the white man who attempted the armed robbery — but it took police six months to watch the surveillance footage that told the real story.

Patrick John Owens, 29, told authorities last August that Christopher and Jerry Tate, 25 and 23, approached him and tried to rob him in St. Louis. The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported at the time that the brothers kicked and punched Owens, who said he fired his gun in self-defense. The bullet hit Christopher Tate, going through his hand and then his jaw. Police later saw one of the Tate brothers hiding the firearm in a flowerpot.

According to Jerry Tate, the brothers tried to tell police officers on bikes what had happened, but “they didn’t listen to us at all,” he told the Post-Dispatch.

This week, the truth — and charges — came out. Owens has been charged with attempted robbery, armed criminal action, second-degree assault and making a false report. The first three are felony charges.

The real story, according to court documents, is that Owens approached the brothers at around 3:15 am on the street when the brothers were exiting a pickup truck. Owens asked the brothers for a ride then pulled out his weapon and said, “Give me your wallet!”

A struggle ensued and Owens fired his weapon, striking Christopher Tate. The Tates eventually obtained Owens’ firearm.

“The Tates said Wednesday that they hid the weapon as they ran in search of help because they feared that in the commotion the gun could make them a target,” the Post-Dispatch reported.

“I was on top of him when he shot me,” Christopher Tate told the Post-Dispatch. “When he fired the gun the bullet hit the bone in my hand. It went through my right jaw. If I had not put my hand out it probably would have blown my entire face off.”

According to the brothers, it is thanks to the persistence of their mother that the video footage was viewed.

The Tate brothers are happy that justice is (finally) being served but are disappointed that the evidence has been there for six months and was only reviewed now. They are also upset that Owens has not been taken into custody. And they believe that race played a role in the ordeal.

“I believe [the police] listened to [Owens] because he was white,” Christopher Tate told the Post-Dispatch.

Christopher Tate also told the publication that before his name was cleared his boss did not believe his story.

• Get the hell out of here, more racism from my hometown. Goddamn I wouldn’t have guess this in a million years. This is like seeing a unicorn.

Told you once, told you twice; hell might of even said it more than twice, it’s in their damn DNA.

• Police also delay in viewing videos — and obtaining other dispositive evidence — in cases of police shootings. In my area, police officers who shoot someone are allowed a couple of days — or more — before law enforcement is allowed to interview them, to get their version of events. That allows them to consult with legal counsel and/or their unions, and to get their stories together. An average citizen involved in a shooting is — on the other hand — immediately taken into custody and interrogated, sometimes for hours.

• One really has nothing to do with the other…there was a shooting and six months went by with 2 sides of a story being given. If there is video evidence how long would it take you to investigate it??? Going to take a lot more now because there are going to receive a lot of our tax dollars for being falsely prosecuted in a botched case…

• I have but one simple message for the innocent Black men accused of the robbery:

SUE, Brethren; SUE! :-)

• I agree there may be a legitimate lawsuit against the newspaper, if newspapers and journalists can be sued for slander (#fakenews).

As far as suing the police, there’s no indication from the article that the brothers were held in custody this entire time. The police interviewed the brothers because one of them was seen hiding the weapon. This is reasonable and expected. Not sure what claims of damages they could make against the police regarding the timeframe.

• Idiotdetector

You sir are an idiot. Police sat on evidence for 6months. Real criminal is still out and about. What part don’t you understand. Idiot.

• Well, the NAACP warned people of color about Missouri…. ijs… This story lines up to that warning.

• Has this correction been reported in the Post-Dispatch? I’m from St. Louis and would like to tweet it out if so. Unfortunately, there are many in St. Louis who won’t read it from your publication, simply b/c Diversity is in your title.. :(

• That was during the period acting Chief of Police. O’Toole was in office. He was not chosen as chief of police because of his relationship with citizens amongst other things. I hope this shooter gets some hard crime and the family should file a civil suit.

• Charity Dell

Here we go again–the old “LET’S-FIND-A-MINORITY-MALE-TO BLAME” (LFAMMTB) game.
    Business as usual.

• “Christopher Tate was treated at a hospital. Both Jerry Tate and Owens were arrested. Jerry Tate was released without charges as officers investigated, and Owens was released pending charges.” mmmm, Christopher was not arrested. Jerry was arrested, but released without charges. The White male was also arrested and is pending charges. Not sure I see the problem.

• “”I believe [the police] listened to [Owens] because he was white,” Christopher Tate told the Post-Dispatch.

“He asked me, ‘Why did the paper say you robbed someone and that’s how you got shot?’” he recalled. “He said ‘If it wasn’t true the paper wouldn’t have said it.’””

• “My mother kept telling them that there was video all through that area,” Jerry Tate said.

“Not sure I see the problem.”

More examples of black voices not being heard.

• The problem is the Black man should never have been arrested in the first place and would not have been arrested had the police truly investigated immediately.

• Kelly If you’ll take time and read the story right you’re gonna see the problem. They didn’t arrest the offender they arrested the two brothers that the victims . The offender was the white man and the cops 👮‍♀️ took side with him. I’m hopeful you’re seeing the age old problem c’mon I know you’re not blind! The cops wouldn’t review the video until six months later ! That’s why so much has not changed in the last one hundred years it’s always the Black mans fault!

• Barry Connors

White people just doing what they have been doing since the beginning of time. Lying. It’s in the DNA.

• christopher james

Now why is this shocking — this has happened since the Europeans came to America to take over. It’s always the other guy – they lie – change data and always say they are the good guys and victims. Isn’t this some bull. And if you want proof – Rosewood FL, Tulsa OK, Chicago, IL and let us not forget poor Emmitt. But proceed with your right fighting white lives.

• This is a reminder about how much power the police have to ruin your life if they choose to.

Although, much has changed, some things have not. Nothing new under the sun.

• I don’t believe all police offices are bad or racist So this is not for all police offices only the bad and racist ones You coward motherfuckers need to be carried or buried which means carried to a jail cell or buried in a hole deep enough for us not to smell your funky ass anymore Everybody wants to cry when a white police officer gets killed What about All the innocent black people men and womenThat have Died By a crooked white cop So I have no tears for U white motherfuckers and there’s going to be more of you in a box with that bullshit ass American flag draped over it if you don’t stop this bullshit just my opinion my thoughts and prayer go out to all of the blacks that have lost a family member To a racist white cop Stay strong because karma is a bitch

• This fits the meaning of “white privilege”. Colored people will always have to fight to get their justice in this country.

• Le'Undo Adams

Wow!!,This Is My Home Town!!, & The Racist Politician’s,Police, & People!! In St Louis & St Louis County!!!, Has Got To Stop!!!!,Period!!!!

• Seems like this Country us attempting to go back to Jim Crow days, a whole lot of them going to get really messed up.

• Dan'Elle McCombs

I wonder if these young men have found a good lawyer yet. The system sucks for people of color

• They will not win a law suit believe me. Not to mention they could possibly be arrested for some be charge if they try. Look up what has happened to almost every person who has recorded high profile police misconduct.

• That maybe the case why the man started firing when the two officers came two his house and they were killed. I hate to say that. If police were not so quick to believe the worst in black people bad things would not happen I just saying. It do make you wonder why when the white person can kill so many at a school get better treatment when arrested than a black man on a corner selling cigarettes. Praying for all families who have lost loved ones. But what these men should do is sue all involved