Only Black People are Racist, Civil Rights Made Them Lazy, Says Big Trump Donor

A former employee has filed a lawsuit against Robert Mercer, who said the Civil Rights Act of 1964 “infantilized” Blacks by dissuading them from working.

REUTERS

One of Donald Trump’s biggest financial backers is facing a lawsuit alleging a series of racially charged comments he made to a former employee, including that the only racist people in America are Blacks, being given equal rights under the law made Blacks lazy and segregation was not an important issue.

According to complainant Dave Magerman, a former research scientist with the company, he was suspended and then fired for speaking publicly about his former boss’ political views.

Robert Mercer, co-chief executive officer of Renaissance Technologies, donated $13.5 million to Trump’s campaign, The Guardian reported in February. Additionally, according to CNN Money, “Mercer contributed more than $15 million to a conservative super PAC, Keep the Promise I/Make America Number 1, according to financial records compiled by the Center for Responsive Politics.” The super PAC began supporting Trump after Texas Sen. Ted Cruz dropped out of the presidential race.

According to the lawsuit, in January, just before Trump’s inauguration, Magerman called Mercer to discuss his political views, knowing he was an influential Trump supporter. At this time, the complaint says, Mercer made a slew of racially charged remarks.

Among his comments, Mercer said the only racists in America were Blacks and that the country “began to go in the wrong direction” following the Civil Rights Act’s passage and that Blacks were doing fine before being afforded equal rights. Mercer also expressed his belief that giving Blacks equal rights the Civil Rights Act made them lazy and “dependent on government and removing any incentive to work,” the lawsuit claims. Additionally, Mercer allegedly said that whites have no hostility toward Blacks anymore, “and if there is any, it is not something the government should be concerned with,” the filing claims Mercer said.

Magerman allegedly pointed out the consequences of segregation, leaving Blacks to attend inferior schools and keeping them out of all-white establishments as well as subjecting them to separate water fountains.

“Mercer responded that those issues were not important,” the filing claims.

Magerman then, according to the claim, relayed the conversation to Peter Brown, Mercer’s co-CEO.

Mercer allegedly confronted Magerman for “going around saying I’m a white supremacist,” which Magerman denied, while reminding Mercer of his previous comments, at which time Mercer reaffirmed his views.

After doing an interview on Mercer’s political standpoint with the Wall Street Journal, Magerman was suspended without pay. Eventually, “at the direction of Mercer and in further retaliation for Magerman’s criticism of Mercer’s political activities and the causes he supports,” Magerman was fired.

In addition to his large contributions to Trump, Mercer was also a large financial force behind the foundation of Breitbart, an alt-right news site founded by current White House Chief Strategist Steve Bannon. Mercer’s daughter reportedly encouraged Trump to hire Bannon and Kellyanne Conway, a counselor to Trump.

According to The New Yorker, Mercer’s political contributions were strategic and impactful, totaling $22.5 million “in disclosed donations to Republican candidates and to political-action committees.”

“Mercer’s political efforts stand apart,” The New Yorker reports. “Adopting the strategy of Charles and David Koch, the billionaire libertarians, Mercer enlarged his impact exponentially by combining short-term campaign spending with long-term ideological investments. He poured millions of dollars into Breitbart News, and — in what David Magerman has called ‘an extreme example of modern entrepreneurial philanthropy’ — made donations to dozens of politically tinged organizations.”

Following the release of taped footage of Trump making comments about sexually harassing women, the Mercers released a statement to The Washington Post expressing their continued support for the candidate.

“We are completely indifferent to Mr. Trump’s locker room braggadocio,” the statement said, adding:

“America is finally fed up and disgusted with its political elite. Trump is channeling this disgust and those among the political elite who quake before the boombox of media blather do not appreciate the apocalyptic choice that America faces on November 8th. We have a country to save and there is only one person who can save it. We, and Americans across the country and around the world, stand steadfastly behind Donald J. Trump.”

• If you can’t say anything good about any race of people then you should learn to keep your negative thoughts to yourself.

• WOW. Well that’s says it all. So if I heard this correctly, whatever is done to Black people is ok because we don’t deserve civil rights anyway. This clown actually said this? We are living in very dangerous times when individuals like this are given any kind of voice and support Donald Trump, who everyone with sense knows is a racist period, no discussion. Hope he is out very soon. If I never see his face or hear his voice again, that would be just fine.

• Did Magerman record these alleged comments? Do we have any proof other than his word vs Mercer? Did Mercer admit to making these comments? If the answers to the above questions are no, then how do you decide to believe one over the other? We have already seen examples of liberal progressive invention of fake news. I need a little more to be able to judge one way or another. The comments, if true, are absurd. However, 1 thing is true. Democrats have spent the past 50 years throwing billions of dollars at welfare programs that have been ineffective. Race not withstanding, the welfare system encourages women to continue to have babies they cannot care for to receive increased monthly payments. Again, this has noting to do with race.

• In repeating these false memes about welfare you are showing your ignorance. Anyone who knows anything about welfare, including poor people, knows that the more children you have — with or without welfare assistance — the poorer you get, since the increase in benefits is much less than the actual cost of raising another child.

• There is also the money they get from baby daddy. I have seen first hand its a way of life for some. 3-4 kids all be different fathers. Once again, I am not saying this is tied to race. Its not. Its a way of life and you see the daughters raised in this manner do the same as the mothers. Its a chain and it needs to be broken.

• While you’re mouthing fictional stereotypes, why not throw in the Welfare Cadillac while you’re at it?

• Or how about the toothless loudmouth, with belt, suspenders and confederate flag hat, yelling at the Cracker Barrel about those GD Mexicans?

• I stood in line behind a couple of women at a store one time (late 1990s). One woman had a baby in the grocery cart seat, a toddler hanging onto her leg, and she was telling the other woman that the baby in the cart was getting so big – it was almost time to have another baby. Then she paid for her groceries with food stamps. Not saying all food stamp recipients are like that, but come on……..

• Charity Dell

LHOUGHTON–And while we’re at it, let’s not forget the “corporate welfare” that benefits
          the wealthy upper-crust, who ALSO do their “self-replicating” cycle in which they rip off
          entire states and the Feds as they deliberately outsource jobs to other continents;
          stop paying taxes to local, county, state and federal governments; then keep going
          back to PACS and Congress to get MORE tax breaks they do not need or deserve.

This, too, is a welfare way of life in America.

• As I said in my post, its not about race. Of course more whites are on welfare. White population is much higher so there will be a higher percentage on welfare. The real point of my post was what evidence do we have that he actually made those comments. Anything other than he said, he said? Since no other sources of evidence were cited, I’ll assume there are none.

• Such ignorance.

Welfare programs are NOT an incentive to have more children. When my children were young, we did get welfare and food stamps for a few years as both my husband and I were very young and uneducated. Welfare programs helped me learn to budget and manage money, make my food dollars stretch, and provided assistance to get myself back to school for a better education. The programs were NOT ineffective. Without them and vocational rehabilitation, I would probably still be struggling.

Forty years later, I am solidly middle class and my grown kids have families of their own that they support. And, for your information, I and my family are White.

• Good for you! You recognized that you didn’t want to live the way you were and did something about it – got an education/better job etc. The problem with the program is that they can’t discern the difference between go-getters like you and those who live on the benefits for generations. Their grandmother was on welfare, their Mom was on welfare, and then the kids are on welfare – it becomes a way of life too often.
        I have no problem paying for welfare for people like you – I do have a problem paying for welfare for the habitual abusers of the system.

• I Michael J. "Orange Mike" Lowrey

I have no beef with honest conservatives; but Peter Kyle, you are either deeply ignorant or a damnable contemptible liar (or possibly both) who obviously knows nothing whatsoever about how poverty programs function (or about how hard it is to press a lawsuit such as Magerman’s against a rich employer, for that matter).

• MARGARET OPINE

WELL…I WILL MAKE IT RACEFUL. WHITE WOMEN ARE ON WELFARE TOO AND HAVE ALWAYS BEEN ON WELFARE IN LARGE NUMBERS, COMPARATIVELY, AND SOME TIMES ””’ANY””’ WOMAN CAN BE ON WELFARE WITH HER CHILD DEPENDING ON WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO HER.
      ……..OOOPS!!!! I DIDN’T CATCH THAT UNTIL NOW. YOU MEAN….RATHER THAN BE ON WELFARE, ON THE PUBLIC DOLE, SHE SHOULD HAVE ABORTED THE LIFE WITHIN HER.

WELL… TELL THAT TO THE DONALD TRUMPS IN OUR WORLD AND SOME MO’ PEOPLE WHO ARE, AND WILL CONTINUE DRAINING THE PUBLIC COFFERS DRY. I NO LONGER SPEAK ILL OF ANY ONE PARTICULAR INDIVIDUALS WHO DIP THEIR HANDS IN THE PUBLIC PURSE TO SURVIVE….WHILE A WELFARE RECEIPIENT MIGHT RECEIVE $8,000 A YEAR…THERE ARE PEOPLE WHO DO BUSINESS, WHO TAKE A SHOWER AND A SHAVE, DRESS IN A SUIT, AND DAWN AN OFFICE DESK TO STEAL MILLIONS UPON MILLIONS UPON MILLIONS…(I HAVE TO SAY IT LIKE THAT TO ACCOUNT FOR THE ”’DECADES”” THEY DO IT WITHOUT A WHIMPER FROM ANYONE IN AUTHORITY.)

I NO LONGER LOOK AT THE LITTLE PEOPLE WHO TAKE THEIR CHECKS AND PUT THEM RIGHT BACK INTO THE SYSTEM (MOST OF THE TIME) I LOOK AT THE ONES WHO SIT BEHIND A DESK AND GO TO BUSINESS MEETIINGS AND COCKTAIL PARTIES AND CHANGE THEIR ADDRESSES TO HOLLYWOOD OR BEVERLY HILLS OR MAR-LARGO OR TRUMP TOWERS AND NO ONE TAKES NOTICE… OR, EVEN CARE THAT MUCH!
      AND THEN, WHEN THEY ARE RICH ENOUGH THEY ””BUY”” OUR GOVERNMENT EACH ELECTION.

I HAVE BEGUN TO THINK THAT NO ONE MAKES MILLIONS AND BILLIONS WITHOUT BENDING THE BROUGH.
      *AND I HATE IT LIKE A DON’T KNOW WHAT THAT PEOPLE LIKE THE MERCERS AND THE KOCHS OWN OUR POLITICAL GOVERNING PROWESS. WE, THE PEOPLE ARE HERDED LIKE SHEEP. (TELL US ANYTHING, SAID BY ANYONE FOR ANY PURPOSE, ANY FOLLY, AND OUR VOTE DOESN’T MATTER ANYMORE. WE ARE DIMINISHED AS A NATION.)–margaret opine

• These articles about Trump and his base of supporters are a blessing in disguise. They reveal a level of ignorance and racial intolerance that was overshadowed by the victories of the Civil Rights Movement and the election of a Black President. There is clearly a larger group of American people who hold these same intolerant beliefs about civil rights, race, and what this country is all about. a generation has passed since the Civil Rights Act was passed. The outcome of the popular vote tells me that they are in the minority. Nevertheless, we are currently taking a step backwards despite the tremendous accomplishments of every race of people who make up these United States since its very beginnings. When we believe that the successes of others detract from us, we will work to subjugate them. I pray that there are many more who don’t hold these beliefs and that we will continue to move forward instead of backwards.

• This is something I myself have studied for years. I am white but raised by a black woman. My black family has lived in the same house 1912. It was like living in a museum. The house is in Columbus Ohio in a historic black area. The rugs furniture and even painting have been there since we first move in. I often would look through our family photos and ask Grammy all kinds of questions. The history in our home would always amaze me. During the 20s and even in the 50s the area was thriving and full of life. When I would start to look at photos from the 60s and 70s it had turned into what some people call the ghetto. The area now has been restored and my grandmother lived long

I often wonder what caused this. Some of things she had and done were almost unbelievable. Before desegregation famous people would stay at our house because black couldn’t stay in hotels in downtown. She had photos of Sammy Davis jr, Ethel Waters, Duke Ellington and to many others to list. I even remember one time looking at her yearbook from 1937 and the school was white and black then. I looked in the back and Jesse Owens had signed it. I ask her about it and she said the other three black men that went to the Olympics with him did also. I told her I don’t know there were othe blacks guys at the Olympics. She yes dear and they all got metal but Jesse got the gold.

So when I got older I started during research to find out. This was very difficult to research most people start at the library as I did. I found nothing and the local newspaper wasn’t any help either. Grammy said don’t look there because we had our own newspaper. The funny thing is we lived across the street from the call and post. I put together alot of information but never could find the reason until my daughter started college.

She took it to the next level. She’s actually doing her doctorate in the subject and even she had a hard time finding information. We had all the first part and found someone who had the rest. Dr. Louis Gates and he has done several documentaries on the subject.

We had two migrations from the south of African-Americans. The first was 1880 to 1900. These were educated people and settled in places like Harlem NY and in Columbus what we call bronzevill. The second was 1929 during the depression and these people weren’t educated and mostly surecroppers.

That’s why when you go back to places like Bronzevill Columbus Ohio in the 1920s they were thriving. Government housing worked well then because Black of all walks of life lived there. What happened after desegregation was that people who had education and money left the area. That left the poor uneducated people. Over time the grand old houses were boarded up and turn down to expand government housing. If you get a chance read anything Dr. Gates ihas done or watch a few of his documentaries they are very educational. Pretty sure this guy would benefit from them.

Sorry so long god bless all

• So allowing Black people equal rights (sitting at the front of the bus) made them not want to go to work anymore??? Hmmm sounds odd, but ok, I’ll bite: Are we talking about the same people who actually staged a bus boycott for over 365 days and walked everywhere?

• A person would have to know their American history to even understand your question. Which means the overwhelming majority of white people are missing your excellent point.

Ignorance and fear is what begets monsters like Trump.

• So much misplaced angst and fear over the achievements of African-Americans. So much ignorance and fear about the progression (however big or small) of brown skinned people in America many of whom have paid a severe penalty for hard won freedoms. Here’s a man who’s a “gozillionaire” believing that hard fought Civil Rights has destroyed America. And that what African-American people endured at the hands of White people is of no consequence cause we were doing just fine pre-Civil Rights. Wow, stupidity on top of ignorance on top of fear. The next time Mercer wants to speak about how Black folks in America are doing, here’s my advice: don’t.

• Charity Dell

EMM–Mercer needs to be stripped of his wealth and dumped in
      a European country; if they’ll have him. They may be able to
      benefit from his “Pearls of Putrid Pablum” when he wows
      them with his “Shining Superior Whiteness”, which will
      benefit the masses. ROTFLOL :-)

• “Only black people are Racist”? So, I guess segregation and voting taxes were a myth? It sure wasn’t the black folks who decided what part of town a person could live in, or what school they could attend, or what job they could hold. I’m a white guy, and I get upset whenever I hear crap like this. Segregation was, and sometimes still is, a reality. It is totally wrong. What really irks me about these racist clowns is the simple idiotic notion that being white is somehow “better”. Being white is no ‘better’ than being tall or short, left-handed or right-handed, or blue-eyed or brown. There is nothing any of us had to do with it. It was not a choice, much less a great thing we earned. And from what I’ve seen in my 68 years, most people who brag about being white have nothing else to brag about.