Racist in Chief Told To Stay Away from Civil Rights Museum Opening by NAACP

“He has created a commission to reinforce voter suppression, refused to denounce white supremacists, and overall, has created a racially hostile climate in this nation,” said Derrick Johnson, NAACP president and CEO.

ALAMY

President Donald Trump’s planned visit to a civil rights museum in Mississippi is an insult to civil rights heroes, according to the NAACP.

“President Trump’s statements and policies regarding the protection and enforcement of civil rights have been abysmal, and his attendance is an affront to the veterans of the civil rights movement,” said Derrick Johnson, NAACP president and CEO.

Trump is scheduled to attend the opening of the Museum of Mississippi History and the Mississippi Civil Rights Museum in Jackson this weekend.

“He has created a commission to reinforce voter suppression, refused to denounce white supremacists, and overall, has created a racially hostile climate in this nation,” Johnson added.

If Trump’s idea is to give himself a pat on the back, he is too little, too late, said Dr. Amos Brown, an NAACP board member and president of the organization’s San Francisco branch.

“As a freedom fighter and contemporary of Emmett Till, Trump’s visit is an insult. He has never been a supporter of civil rights or equal opportunity or justice,” Brown said.

In addition to his repeated racist remarks, what Trump hasn’t said about racially motivated issues has been loud enough, according to Brown: “He’s been silent on civil rights issues, and his silence speaks volumes.”

Activists have announced plans to protest Trump’s visit, a move White House press secretary described as “honestly very sad.”

“I think this is something that should bring the country together to celebrate the opening of this museum and highlighting [the] civil rights movement and the progress that we’ve made,” she said. “And I would hope that those individuals would join in that celebration instead of protesting it.”

Sanders also called Trump’s position on racism and bigotry “very clear.”

Trump’s response to Charlottesville, calling for blame on “both sides” after a woman protesting against white supremacy was killed; his delay on disavowing KKK leaders; his use of a racial slur targeting Native Americans at an event honoring those very people; his description of NFL players protesting police brutality in America as “sons of bitches”; and his retweet of anti-Muslim videos from a far-right British party are just a few of the more recent instances in which the president made “very clear” what his stance is.

Related Story

Trump Declines Invitation To Speak at NAACP Convention

Trump Declines Invitation To Speak at NAACP Convention

The White House did not offer any details on why Trump would not speak to the 108-year-old civil rights group.

In July Trump turned down an invitation to speak at the NAACP’s annual convention. The White House at the time did not provide a reason why Trump would not attend. Both of his most recent predecessors, Barack Obama and George W. Bush, delivered speeches to the NAACP during their time in office.

Trump just can’t get it right when it comes to museums.

Related Story

Trump Touts Election Win While Touring African American Museum

Trump Touts Election Win While Touring African American Museum

President Trump bragged about his “double, double, double” digits victory in South Carolina while touring the National Museum of African American History and Culture.

In February Trump could not pass an opportunity to brag about his election victory during a tour of the National Museum of African American History and Culture in Washington, D.C.

On his tour Trump was accompanied by Sen. Tim Scott (R-S.C.), who is one of three Black members of the Senate. After thanking the senator for attending the museum with him Trump said, “I like the state of South Carolina. I like all those states where I won by double, double, double digits. You know, those states.”

Related Story

President Obama on Trump: ‘We’ve got a museum for him to visit’

President Obama on Trump: ‘We’ve got a museum for him to visit’

The National Museum of African American History and Culture will provide a history lesson on Black progress in America that Donald Trump needs.

Last September, while still campaigning for the presidency, Trump incorrectly referred to the Smithsonian Museum of African American History and Culture as “the Smithsonian National Museum of American History, African American Art.”

Related Story

Rudeness, 'Special requests' From Trump Campaign Rejected by Civil Rights Museum

Trump Rejected From Visiting Civil Rights Museum After Rudeness, 'Special requests'

"Mr. Trump is welcome to come to the museum, just as everyone else," co-founder Earl Jones said. "But he's not gonna receive any special treatment."

Also around that time, then candidate Trump’s request to visit a civil rights museum in Greensboro, N.C., was rejected after the campaign was allegedly rude to museum staffers and made special requests that the museum would not accommodate.

• Michael J. "Orange Mike" Lowrey

Given the history of the modern-day Republican Party in Mississippi, neither Trump nor any other member of that organization should expect to feel welcome at such a museum.

*This has nothing to do with the 19th-century Republican Party in that state, which was NOT a racist organization.

• He is a ignorant opportunist. I agree that he should not be allowed anywhere near the Civil Rights Museum.

• I think there is no doubt that Trump’s words and actions have fueled racist sentiment and policies in this country – but how on earth can we find ways to help someone like him get more educated, if we don’t let him visit important museums that face African American history?

Major dilemma, of course, since he uses every place he visits as an opportunity to promote himself, and it is an insult for him to continue to do this. Speaking up matters! Maybe even being bold and taking a stand to bar him – I’m not God, I don’t know all the best ways to reach and teach the masses of people in white worlds, who have lived for centuries without recognizing the harm their machines and ignorance and presumptions of guilt and lack in African peoples have skewed the understanding of a wide world, who don’t expect to negotiate with all voices of Africans in planning changes that impact them, and include their views on what impacts the whole world and planet.

I was lucky to learn about African American culture starting without the standard assumptions taught in history books, because I grew up in Canada, and only had been taught British history, for the most part! When I happened to get a school bus driving job in the city, just when Busing Desegregation implementation was new, I was present at a particular time in history of cultural and racial dealing with each other, and the reaction of northern cities was cruel to them – caught up in their own resentment about being told what to do by wealthier classes, groups of whites combined all issues together into the refusal to condemn those in their communities who thre rocks at busloads of children. But codes of silence and fear of discussing topics with assumed antagonists – might delay confrontations, but they magnify them, for issues can be better resolved with prompt attention – and compassion, and the understanding that longstanding changes were needed, not ones that shifted with every political election year. Compassion is needed for the years when white people were so unfamiliar, and separation seemed the best solution to many – so they did not look twice.

An elder white woman told me once, that she could not understand how so much harm and hate could be gathered in Germany without a public uproar – but then she noted, that living in one suburb – she can’t even keep up with events happening in the next towns over. Thus, people can miss realities of others lives – and later, blamed for missing them, can react in resentment for being blamed.

There’s some truth in that feeling, for all of us have areas of ignorance in life, about circumstances that derail others completely, play into historic or family issues that need attention, guidance, support, but are left with only blame. Those who leave home for work, can find themselves on the outside for understanding issues at home.

Our mobile world can benefit from help, greater visibility, with better explanations of history, and ideas of better alternatives. I feel like a preacher, but see there is so much preventable sadness. But instead of realizing that we do not need universal and uniform educational or even legal standards, we need educators to learn how to listen to people whose issues are different, and who can benefit from help in different ways,

That’s it, that’s all I’ve got for now. It’s a sad situation, where Americans have had the debatable luxury of living in isolation from groups different from them – who now find that the others did not disappear, they needed help, and welcome – and instead found blame, mistrust too often without cause, misunderstanding of communication differences, and rocks.

NO – one more thing – MAYBE – if Trump agreed to go to the Mississippi museum opening as a private citizen, without media, maybe that could improve the process of adding perspective to his education.

• Most museums have timelines and events that happened at each period within the timeline; To learn from that, you’d need to be able to read. I’m not convinced that POTUS is able to read…….He surely has not been able to read the speeches written out for him.

• How do you get past *willful* ignorance? Neither trump nor his ilk want to know.

And don’t think that racists don’t know their history. They know it better than most; that’s why they choose to ignore, lie, distort, remake, and revise it.
      Like an atheist knows the Bible better than the devout, don’t be so sure racists don’t know history or what’s been done in the past throughout it. Their goal is to *not* acknowledge historical fact, squash it, and, thereby, remain on top, even as they lose their footing.

The world is changing as it always has, and they’re running scared and their numbers are low compared to the “others”.

Your sentiments don’t apply to trump and his racist followers.

They already know the score.

Nice thoughts, though.

• He is probably relieved. And as is his pattern of making terribly inappropriate, embarrassing and petty comments at these nonpolitical events, we avert such offense at the site of this event. Now on with the tweeting, lashing out, bullying, and name-calling, Mr. Trump, as you have set such a low standard when it comes to blacks, browns, natives, women, children, and anyone that is different from you.

• It’s insulting and infuriating that the orange idiot is even considering going to this museum opening. He doesn’t deserve to be there. Do you think we could start a petition to keep him away?

• Greg Thrasher

Horrible advice offered up by NAACP. Trump is not some Omnipotent God he does not deserve to be a emboldened nor feared.

Black Americans have a iconic legacy in confronting racial bigots. More importantly Trump needs to be in the presence of our Black genius and heroes.

Excluding bigots from museums that celebrate and acknowledge the presence of racism is a horrible position to take especially by the NAACP

BLM

• I don’t agree when it come to trump.

Just like we all tolerate our drunk, lazy brother in law for family harmony, sometimes he just needs to keep his drunk #$@ home and away from the wedding.

Because the wedding isn’t about him and he doesn’t need to be allowed to ruin everyone’s day.

Trump talked about his rich sexual pervert friends and their hooker fueled parties on their yachts and vilified a past president at the boyscout jamboree, in front of small children at a Halloween celebration, he insulted their media parents, at a commemoration of native American veterans’ contribution during the war for a country that tried to annihilate every last one of them, he insulted them.

Since trump can’t help but ruin every event with inappropriateness like commenting on the body of foreign dignitaries’ wives and shoving them out of his way, he doesn’t need to be there.

Isn’t going to learn anything, doesn’t care, and is going say or do something completely cringeworthy, like saying he’s heard that Martin Luther King has been doing some really great things lately.

Let his equivalent of a drunken, ignorant, loudmouth, boorish relative stay home and sleep off those exhausting golf games.

He can’t rise to any occasion, why should everyone else have to?

• Greg Thrasher

Sorry but you have no convinced me with your uncle story etc. Trump is not the Big Boogie man nor someone to fear and avoid .

Black Americans have an iconic legacy in confronting racists and bigots Trump is another usual suspect

BLM

• Help me understand, Greg and others, and no disrespect intended. So you think that Black people who have repeatedly watched verbal, public lynchings, so to speak, of Blacks, women, and other non-white people by this president (the lyncher), should just accept yet another lynching by him, for the sake of educating the lyncher while he lynches them at a monument that’s highly regarded by the culture to be lynched?

• Greg Thrashe

Help me understand how you can equate Trump’s behavior with lynching??

How does one do that and not offend Black Americans like myself and others??

I am not aware of any Black American that has normalized Trump or who tolerate and accept his contempt for us

You in my opinion do not understand the majesty and nobility of knowledge, and the presence of Blackness in venues like this Museum as well as in hostile venues where people like Trump exist

Please stop selling my people so short and discounting how in the midst of evil our presence can make a difference and alter the trajectory of respect

Trump is not all knowing and Powerful.. I refuse to empower him doing so handcuffs me and insults my community and my people’s legacy in America

BLM

• I understand your objection to the word. Use the word assassination or assasinate instead of that word and see how you think curious’ comment works.

As a part of one nonprofit I serve, I was asked to meet with the labor secretary. I turned it down. I will not be used as a prop, nor give information to anyone in this administration because I do not believe that it would ever be used for good purposes. These people are my enemy. They are using our country for personal enrichment. They are criminals. And they are leveraging hate to pass their billionaire tax cut and to allow oil companies to rape federal lands (signed within 24 hours of the trumpster fire at the Navajo code talker recognition. Why would you help them?

• Greg Thrashe

Luke,

I just left the building and I still have the mic … lol lol

BLM

• Greg Thrashe

Luke,

I am not the author of Curious words he is and he deliberately chose those words… I own my words and I reserve that right exclusively…It is not my obligation to diffuse his/ her shortcomings of course I am obligated to reject to this verbiage as a Black Man in America on the souls of my people

Regarding your caveat and example respectfully it is not an equivalent analogy from my optics.

Lynching is Lynching is not comport with the services you provide to this NP Board

Nonetheless I do think it is always appropriate to confront one’s adversary not to enable them and exchange proprietary information or to make pleasant musings

Knowing is power … So is informing one’s adversary of your narratives, agenda and the outcome you will secure from in this case Trump ‘s labor secretary.

I am 63 yr Black Activists in a racist country… I have encountered all manner of evil , racism and contempt for My personhood avoidance and deflection have never been options that worked nor advanced my agenda

I respect your experiences here mine are different

Happy Holidays

BLM

• Greg, as an African American woman in her 60s, raised in the south, living in harsh times where harsh words are thrown around by the current President of these states and others like him, I choose “lynch” in it’s analogous form. Although he refrains publicly, I believe that instead of the name calling that he does, he would choose the “n” word and he would, literally, lynch as many of us as possible and deny that he did it, or boast about how many. In my words, I chose “lynch” intentionally because of its harshness as our men are publicly shot down in the back, in our streets by law enforcement. (Don’t get me wrong. I have relatives in law enforcement, so I’m no police hater and recognize the difficulties and dangers they face daily.) But this president goes silent and eggs his lynchers on as vicious hate crimes continue to climb. I have the right to say as I choose, as do you to disagree…with respect, sir.

• “Sanders also called Trump’s position on racism and bigotry ‘very clear.”’

That’s what the officials at the NAACP just said, dumb$#%.

• Before Trump goes to a civil rights museum, they need to create exhibits — geared to about a 4th-grade level of comprehension — demonstrating that Frederick Douglass is no longer alive, showing that Trump was sued for fair housing violations against Blacks, explaining why Kaepernick’s protest is in the best tradition of American dissent, etc. Only then, could the POTUS possibly learn something, assuming that he’s even open to doing so, a highly-dubious proposition at that.

• Anthony Ray Northington

• Anthony Ray Northington

I think minority individuals ! And all other cultures races and creeds should honor our surroundings. Now that racism is beginning to take over the political arena. I stand firm with my personal transformation of change. Eleven years sober next month. I am not a angel, but I have had some brushes with death. And if it was not for his almighty I would not be here… Purpose Living… God has a plan for me… Going to an event honoring my cousin Nathaniel “Nate “Northington. Who was the African American, Black to play in the SEC, Kentucky Football, He has a book out called “Still Running,” I stood up with a clutch fist recognizing this humble iconic cousin of mind. Hyatt Regency Down Atlanta. The following day the Georgia Auburn Football Game I The Benz Stadium. Alongside with other family members… My brother Albert Northington was the First African American to coach a Lady Basketball Team to a High School Basketball Championship 2009, he is inducted in the Kentucky Basketball Hall of Fame for winning this Championship… I am honoring being related to family members with such noteworthy accomplishments. My girlfriends father was a Tuskegee Airman Grounds William “Bill’ Cornish… I just can’t relate to Donald Trump and his Legacy of our President. How can his cabinet let him get by with all the negative moves toward unjust and racist,out right unjust acts… Sarah Huckeebee” Sanders, point blank lies for him for anything he tells her to…. And I follow him he let you know his position… We have to do our part concerning any situation that is stop our personal progress… Vote encourage others to vote. And get our younger generation to follow suit…. This is the first time I went to a banquet with and for my family members… So I could not have said this !!! Thank You !

• Build a wall of protesters to keep tRUMP out of this museum. You can’t educate a fool or a blatant, ignorant white AmeriKKKan racist who CHOOSES to remain in DENIAL. His tweets defy any hint at a formal, post-secondary education. This idiot would make inappropriate, ignorant, insulting, injurious, and inane statements.

Any Bushwacker is just as racist and dumb, but tRUMP is the dumbest. Contrary to popular belief, O’Bama could have done considerably more for Blacks, but like all mulattoes and well-paid slaves who willingly sell out to white AmeriKKKan millionaires who fund them, he lacked blackbone. If racist white AmeriKKKans are going to hate you anyway, why not try to do something to decrease the BLACK unemployment rate. Having Black puppets in powerful presidential positions [O’Bama and Mandela] when people who look like you are still in shambles, shanties and shootings by KKKop is a sham and a shame! Just like my alliteration.

The only good that could come out of tRump’s attendance is the comedic relief from three of my favorite late night hosts: Seth Meyers, Stephen Colbert, and Trevor Noah. tRump would ignorantly say : “Not only are we honoring Harriet Truman on the back of a $20 bill, I’m inviting her to my kitchen cabinet to meet my Black friend,[Uncle] Ben Carson and Scotty BOY from SC. To acknowledge her contributions to making the best pancakes, I’ll have Omarosa put a LIDDLE red rag on her head and dress up like Aunt Jemima! WOW, we will have a wonderful Black EXPERIMENT eating every Black person’s favorite: Chicken (or the yard pimp), pancakes and rice! What a meal! #White cracKKKer-joining-hands-with graham-cracKKKers.

• Being a black African-American I think my President should pick another event commemorating the success of African-Americans. I can think of several. The NAACP has some ignorance that runs rampant within it’s ranks and I would never join such ignorance.

• 45’s goals are to appeal to his base and fulfill his campaign promises, no matter how ill-advised and devisive. Despite being raised in one of the most diverse American cities in the world, his comments reflect an astonishing degree of ignorance concerning minorities and their contributions. His ignorance is unprecedented for an American President–even the slave owning ones! 45 should stay at the White House and allow these icons of Civil Rights celebrate their moment without the unwanted attention, insensitive rhetoric that this White House and 45 would bring. He was asked to stay home for the Kennedy honors too. Sports champions are sitting out traditional visits to the White House. Perhaps the message will get through: We don’t want you at these celebrations of American achievement, struggle, and grace! I applaud the Honorable John Lewis and others for taking yet another stand for social justice.