2017 DiversityInc Top 50 Announcement Event

Fox Replaces O’Reilly With a Misogynist Racist

Beloved by David Duke and the DailyStormer.com, Tucker Carlson will take O’Reilly’s spot.

REUTERS/WIKIMEDIA COMMONS

After numerous women came forward alleging sexual harassment at the hands of Bill O’Reilly, Fox News’ parent company, 21st Century Fox, on Wednesday announced the former host would not be returning to the network.

The latest public claim came from a Black woman, now identified as Perquita Burgess, who said O’Reilly called her “hot chocolate” and made noises at her at work.

Related Story

Maxine Waters

Bill O'Reilly Out at Fox

O'Reilly's latest sexual harassment lawsuit came from a Black woman who said he called her "hot chocolate."

Perhaps not surprisingly, O’Reilly’s replacement, Tucker Carlson, has a history of making racist and sexist comments on and off air, showing that despite O’Reilly’s ouster, things will be business as usual at Fox News.

Racism

Carlson has a large fan base among racists, notably in the neo-Nazi publication the Daily Stormer.

The website’s founder, Andrew Anglin, often expresses praise for Carlson in response to attacks on Jews who appear on his show, which Anglin said should be called “The Evening Holocaust with Tucker Carlson.”

“Tucker Carlson is a one-man HOLOCAUST!” Anglin writes in one article.

“Tucker Carlson may well be the New Hitler we’ve been looking for,” he says in another.

Former KKK grand wizard David Duke is also a fan of Carlson. In December he praised Carlson for standing up to “Jewish Supremacists.”

And Carlson continues giving his fans what they want. In 2016 Carlson said that anyone who acknowledges that white privilege exists is “by definition, a racist.”

“Anyone who alleges the white privilege is, by definition, a racist,” he said. “I think we can say that and we should say that. That’s not a legitimate form of conversation. That’s tarring an entire group based on the way they look. That’s the definition of racism and I think people should stand up and say that because it’s true.”

DiversityInc CEO Luke Visconti explains the idea of “white privilege” in a column:

“Some non-white people do ‘play the race card.’ However, I’ll point out that white people ‘play the race card’ every day of their lives. They may not know it, but they do. Such is the privilege of being white in this country.”

“Being white means you never have to think about race; you never consider that your application to college will be treated differently; that the police officer stopping you isn’t out for anything more than how fast you were going; that your boss didn’t really mean to insult you to your core when he said ‘You’re so articulate’ or dismiss your entire being by saying ‘I don’t care if you’re Black, Yellow, Brown, Green or Polka-Dot,” he adds.

Related Story

Rep. Steve King

Lawmaker Warns Americans: ‘We Can’t Restore Our Civilization with Somebody Else’s Babies’

Rep. Steve King’s latest comments follow his statement last summer that white people contributed more to civilization than any other “sub-group of people.”

In March Carlson defended U.S. Congressman Steve King of Iowa, who took to Twitter to promote the white nationalist position on immigrants, saying, “We can’t restore our civilization with somebody else’s babies.”

Carlson had King on his show following the tweet and came to his aid.

“Everything you said, I think, is defensible and probably right,” Carlson said to the congressman.

King’s comments had drawn ire from all sides, including fellow Republicans.

Related Story

Political Correctness Earned ‘Moonlight’ its Oscar, Says Fox Host

Political Correctness Earned ‘Moonlight’ its Oscar, Says Fox Host

“Moonlight” achieved its victory due to a “political imperative” and because “you knew what the movie was about,” according to Fox host Tucker Carlson.

In February on “Fox & Friends” Carlson alleged that “Moonlight” earned its Oscar over “La La Land” thanks to a “political imperative” and a “moral” obligation.

“You knew it had to happen, because ‘Moonlight’ had to win,” Carlson said. “That’s the law. There was really no way around that. This was a forgone conclusion because it’s not just a good movie. It’s an important movie. It’s a movie that instructs you, that changes you morally, and that’s kind of the aim of Hollywood, is not just to entertain but to instruct.”

“But again, it was forgone. You knew that ‘Moonlight’ had to win because you knew what the film was about,” he continued. “And that’s part of the problem with Hollywood. Tons of really talented people there, brilliant at making movies, but the second you feel a political imperative it destroys your art. The second you feel like you need to elevate the country you become overbearing and pompous and boorish.”

(A “need to elevate the country” did not benefit minority actors, though, despite Carlson’s assessment. This year, the only non-Black acting nominee of color was British-Indian actor Dev Patel for his supporting performance in “Lion.” The last Latino best actor nominee was Demian Bichir in 2012. The last Latina to be nominated for the lead actress award was Colombian actress Catalina Sandino Moreno in 2005 for “Maria Full of Grace.”)

Sexism

In December Carlson had an on-air debate with Teen Vogue writer Lauren Duca, who had previously tweeted about Ivanka Trump.

Carlson repeatedly interrupted Duca and accused her of saying things she did not in fact say.

“You’re shouting over me every time I speak. It’s incredibly unprofessional,” Duca finally said. “You’re actually being a partisan hack who’s just attacking me ad nauseam and not even allowing me to speak.”

Carlson concluded the segment by saying: “You should stick to the thigh-high boots. You’re better at that.”

In 2014 Carlson suggested a lack of knowledge on consent when it comes to sexual harassment and assault. Speaking in response to the news of a Texas middle school teacher giving a 15-year-old male student a lap dance, Carlson said there are two standards when it comes to sexual harassment.

“Here’s the bottom line: A 15-year-old boy is not a 15-year-old girl, and so – I got a lot of mail about this – every man understands this,” Carlson said. “A 15-year-old boy looks at this as, like, the greatest thing that ever happened, and I think for a 15-year-old girl it would be traumatic. That’s just real. I don’t know what to say – I don’t want that to be true but it is true. I’m not saying that all teachers should do lap dances at school. I’m just saying when a teacher gets so enthusiastic she breaks out into a lap dance, don’t send her to prison. That’s all I’m saying.”

Despite Carlson’s one-way view of sexual assault, it is not a tragedy reserved for women. While women are more likely to be sexually assaulted than men, statistics estimate that 1 in 33 men will experience an attempted or completed rape at some point in their life. Sexual assault too often goes unreported, perhaps in part due to stigmas such as the one suggested by Carlson: 63 percent of sexual assault incidents go unreported, just as many of O’Reilly’s victims did not initially report.

Tucker also in 2014 denied the existence of the gender wage gap, despite repeated statistics showing it does in fact exist.

“Women make more than men if you adjust for the time they take off, voluntarily,” Carlson said, referring to the time women take off to give birth.

The female-to-male earnings ratio is 0.80. According to the U.S. Census’ annual “Income and Poverty in the United States: 2015” report, both women and men with earnings saw an increase in median income from 2014 to 2015, with women seeing a slightly higher percentage increase than men. However, the difference in income by gender remains significant.

Carlson’s argument also does not account for single fathers who may have to take family leave, same-sex couples or women who choose not to have children at all. According to the Census Bureau’s Current Population Survey, in 2014 47.6 percent of women between ages 15 and 44 had never have children — the highest percentage seen since the Census started tracking this data in 1976.

In 2013 Carlson seemed to equate violence against women to women choosing to join the armed forces.

Carlson fails to mention that, unlike women who join the armed forces, women who are victims of violence do not choose to be violated.

• Like O’Reilly wasn’t a misogynist racist? At least Carlson has better hair. Maybe he won’t be bagging on Maxine Waters’ hair like O’Reilly did.

• You know, it is funny how some of these people who spout all this hate have done nothing to help this country, that they claim to care so much about. They just run their mouths and make stupid statements.

• This organization need some serious reorganization in what they are dishing out to the American people. If I were a sponsor I wouldn’t spend my advertising dollars with them.

• You really wrote the above Luke? How can you be a self proclaimed diversity professional when you are advocating the demise and death of senior citizens? Unreal that you would allow columns to hurl racist and misogynist so freely against another. I am white, one of those whom you want to have attrition from natural causes, worked for everything in my life to get where I am and certainly not “privileged” by any means other than accomplishments. I served 26 years in the military as well. I have been discriminated against because of my color and profession in diversity and yet am the only person to create and lead race relations dialogues in the federal government. The dialogues are all about us and never us versus them which you advocate. The reception from thousands of all races have been 100% positive. Try that out for size and establish respect and honor. For allowing and making comments like yours above, you will never experience that. Debate me at any time but that probably would not happen since people of opposing views get shouted down by those who have extreme progressive views. Anytime.

• I’m not advocating anybody die, but it is a fact of life that we all will.

I find it lol funny that you deny privilege and also claim that you led successful race discussions.

I will debate you when your audience reaches 260,000 unique people a month. Till then, you are just another guy posting your unsubstantiated opinion in places where it doesn’t add any value.

• Not that I am defending the poster one way or the other, but your self-congratulatory tone is loathsome, Luke. At one time you didn’t have any audience members. Did that make you think your ideas were worthless? You suggest that the man above is not worthy of debating because he isn’t as “good” as you. Try to spell check, too.

• I have no idea if you are self-loathing. I don’t care actually. But I have read your comments for the last three years on a weekly basis and it is clear to me you are often snarky, unkind, and supremely biased against anyone with ideas that don’t match yours.

• I assure you that you are not “the only person to create and lead race relations dialogues in the federal government.”

• Tucker Carlson’s Daily Caller and its anti-Democrat rants are also quoted by Bernie fans on Alternet.

• I don’t support Democratic leadership either. Pelosi and Schumer (combined age of 142) have nothing to add to anyone as far as I’m concerned. Bernie was strong enough to overcome the Russian interference.

• Once again: “Meet the New Boss, Same as the Old Boss”. I am a white male “who acknowledges that white privilege exists.” Does that make me a racist? No, I am guessing the alt-right have other names for people like me. I do, however, have a name for people who think it is harder to be a white male in this country than it is to be a person of color and/or female. That name is “loser.”

• I wish it was hysterical but it’s really sad and pathetic. I think Luke as captain of the thought police and his self-loathing attitude makes your narrative extremely transparent. Less bias would be nice.

• I have never been to those sites or have heard of them before seeing them here. Thank you for proving my point.

• I don’t believe you. The only people who describe me as “self loathing” are white supremacists. There is nothing I’ve ever written that is “self loathing”.

• Well it’s the truth and I frankly do no care if you believe me. You do not know me and I take offense to being a called white surpremacist. I disagree with your assessment of “white privelage”. I have worked for everything I have and I am proud of it.

• You can take offense, but what I wrote about “self loathing” is true (of the hundreds of thousands of words I’ve written on this website, you can’t give me one self loathing example) – and you used it in conjunction with denying white privilege. Another thing you have in common with white supremacists.

Being proud of what you’ve accomplished is something you have in common with hundreds of millions of Americans. What I’m catching a whiff of in your comments is that you think unearned opportunity is enjoyed by non white people.

White privilege is the ability to never have to think about race as you enjoy all the benefits of a deck stacked in favor of white men in every aspect of American life. So, it is white men that enjoy unearned privilege and charlatans like Trump that consistently blame Black men (Obama), Black women (Rice), Latinos (Judge Curiel) and claim providence over things like pussy grabbing to distract fools from seeing their crimes and inadequacies.

• People should take to the streets in New York to protest this Misogynist Racist appointment! This will cause the 50+ sponsors to not return to an unstable and reprehensive environment. Hitting Fox in the pockets forces Fox to change!

• I may get slammed for this, but I’ve watched him a few times and I enjoy his show.

I think he asks fantastic questions, and if the person he debates has good answers, he treats them respectfully (even if the answers aren’t what Tucker himself espouses)…… I also think that some of the goobers he has on to debate would lose an intellectual contest with a milk carton, so it’s clear that he doesn’t go out of his way to pick the most articulate thought representatives from the other side.

But I’d be lying if I said I didn’t find it entertaining occasionally.

• I’ve never liked Carlson—he’s always come off as this smug and arrogant, and I could never stand that stupid bow tie he used to wear. I mean, come on—-the last popular show he was on, he had a co-host, and the last time I recall seeing him hosting his own show on PBS, of all places, was back in 2004, and it didn’t even last that long—barely even a season. Bottom line, he’s never had the kind of popularity that O’Reilly/Hannity has, and he only seems to be able to get on the air when a republican is in the White House. And he’s nothing but a replacement riding the repub wave again anyway. Screw him and his stupid racist attitudes.

• Ummm. Hard to know what to say. Fox just keeps doing it to themselves. Oh well, couldn’t happen to more deserving people.

• boredwithairbags

“Fox Replaces O’Reilly With a Misogynist Racist”. THAT’S EXACTLY WHO FOX IS! Is anyone surprised?