Your White Privilege Is Showing: Police Captain On Leave for Telling Cop He Benefits From His Race and Gender

The officer claimed to be “racially and sexistly slurred” after being informed he is a white man.

A police captain has been placed on paid administrative leave after breaking the news to a cop that being a white male happens to have its benefits in America.

Officers in Plainfield, Ind., were attending a Police Supervisors Transgender Awareness Training session, according to WISH-TV, which obtained a video of the training.

A woman’s voice, identified by WISH-TV as belonging to Captain Carri Weber, says, “That’s because of white male privilege.”

“So I guess I don’t get where that statistic comes from,” the man continues.

Weber repeats, more loudly, “’Cause your white male privilege, so you wouldn’t know.”

“I’m sorry? I’m sorry, what?” the man asks.

“White male privilege,” Weber says again.

The room erupts with comments, including remarks of “Wow” and “I’m done with this training.”

“Chief, are you gonna let her get away with that? Seriously?” the officer asks. “I’m asking a legitimate question here, and I’m getting taught ‘white privilege?’ Are you serious? I find that extremely offensive.”

“No, I will leave,” he adds.

The officer filed a complaint against Weber on Nov. 10.

“I was racially and sexistly slurred by Captain Carri Weber while I was asking a question of the instructor in training,” the complaint read, according to The Indy Channel. “I am now firmly aware of the discriminatory belief she just verbally communicated. … There is no place in the Plainfield Police administration or supervision for someone who holds and espouses her discriminatory views.”

Weber was placed on paid administrative leave on Nov. 10. Her future with the Plainfield Police Department will be brought to a vote on Dec. 7, the outlet also reported.

Prior to the exchange the officer had been questioning statistics that transgender people are more than three times more likely than cisgender people to experience police violence:

“That’s not even accurate because if you can’t even have a basis for where the number comes from or what the situation is that puts them in that situation? I mean are they more likely to be in this situation than somebody that’s not transgender? I’m just saying, which I don’t know what that is, I’m just saying.”

According to media reports, the data came from a 2013 report from the National Coalition of Anti-Violence Programs (NCAVP).

Weber was previously in trouble with the department for having alcohol in a squad car and operating a police vehicle within eight hours of drinking. She was suspended without pay for two weeks. Media outlets at the time identified Weber as an assistant chief.

• Michael J. "Orange Mike" Lowrey

Nothing seems to anger certain of my fellow cisgender straight white males more, than being informed that we have privileges denied others. I will be saddened, but hot surprised, if Weber loses her job because of excessive honesty.

• ANY discussion of diversity MUST include white privilege. The fact that this white man was offended is exactly the reason why. Could the Captain have explained it better, yes. But bottom line. white privilege is the answer the man needed to hear.

• And white people need to own this discussion, especially white men.

It is white men that made the horror show presidency happen by being manipulated by a charlatan because many of us were susceptible to a racist and misogynist message and the rest of us didn’t make it impossible to be the orange fraud’s ally.

• And white women too, sadly. I was shocked and disturbed to find that my demographic voted 52% for the current resident vs 43% for Hillary. We gotta do better, fellow white people!

• The white people who get it must make it uncomfortable for racists and bigots to act on their racism and bigotry – and enlighten those among us who have foolish opinions out of ignorance.

It will be difficult, the entire conversation has devolved into identity politics due to the deft manipulation of the orange huckster.

• This has nothing to do with this article but I can’t find how to contact Diversity Inc webpage managers or those in charge of content. A few months ago it seemed you changed the font of the newsletter. It is now a grey color and a very thin font. The new font and color makes it VERY difficult to read if you have poor eyes. I’ve stopped reading articles I’ve wanted to read because I just can’t see the material without getting a headache or straining my eyes. I’ve jacked up the size on my computer but it doesn’t help. Please at least darken the font color, if not change the font to a thicker font.

• Wow, I have to admit I’m very surprised by this. It’s rare to see a police officer actually acknowledging and criticizing the role that white privilege plays in policing…Good for her.

“My wife has never been part of police violence, most of the people that I know have never accused the police of violence,” an unidentified man says.”

Uh huh, I wonder what “legitimate” question he was asking with that lead-in?

Not knowing the full context of the “offended” officer’s remarks, I could be wrong, but it sounded like what one typically hears just before or after racists/bigots attempt to justify or rationalize over-policing/harassment, brutality and murder by police on communities and people of color. Like I said, that’s what it SOUNDED like.

Lastly, I find it very interesting how quickly an officer is suspended and harshly subjected to a dismissal vote for merely expressing her opinion (which happens to be true and obvious), while other officers accused of felonies and murder, are protected until public outcry makes it untenable, and then, begrudgingly put on desk duty, and happily reinstated after beating their charges.

• The election of Mango Mussolini is the direct result of the anger exhibited by people like this sad white man. They know their number is being called…white supremacy and privilege will eventually die because there is no turning back the clock.

At the same time, they haven’t yet lost their privilege, they are just being called out about it. Most assuredly, they will die with privilege in tact. Their children and grandchildren will also die with privilege in tact. The arc of the moral universe is far too long, in my opinion.

To paraphrase something I read elsewhere, white supremacy and unearned privilege is still with us, but what’s change is that has changed is that fewer people accepting this and staying quiet. And that makes people like this white man very upset.

If people like him weren’t in charge of…well, everything, I might almost be able to muster up about 0.5 micro liters of sympathy.

• Captain Weber may have been a bit gruff in her response, but she was absolutely right in her terse words. Too bad she’s compromised in other areas of her performance but that in no way should diminish what she was trying to say. And the small-minded, White officer asking the questions is offended. Really? The truth offends him, does it? Well, that’s just too damn bad.