Black Professor Fired After Dispute on Fox News Over BLM Event

Lisa Durden lost her job following an appearance on Tucker Carlson's show.

Lisa Durden was fired from her position of adjunct professor at Essex County College on Friday after a heated argument on June 6 with Fox News host Tucker Carlson about an all-Black Memorial Day celebration in New York City. On his show, Carlson made a lackluster attempt to appear as if he were promoting racial equality.

Durden, a producer, filmmaker and media commentator, taught communications and pop culture classes at the college located in New Jersey. She appeared on “Tucker Carlson Tonight” to talk about an event hosted by a Black Lives Matter group, which requested that only Blacks attend. Durden did not disclose her affiliation with the college on the show.

Carlson said the event in Brooklyn promoted segregation.

“You can’t control what your race is …” he said to Durden.

“You white people are angry because you couldn’t use your white privilege card to get invited to the Black Lives Matter all-Black Memorial Day celebration,” Durden responded.

She continued to explain why she thought an exclusive Black space would be needed, and the debate between she and Carlson became heated.

“In this particular day they said, ‘Stay your asses out; we want to celebrate today. We don’t want anyone going against us, today,’” Durden said.

Carlson responded, “And you can’t celebrate if someone who doesn’t look like you is around? You’re demented, actually. You’re sick. What you’re saying is disgusting. If you were a Nazi, I would be saying the same thing to you. What you’re saying is indistinguishable from what they are saying.”

In a statement sent to NJ.com on Friday regarding Durden’s dismissal, Essex County College President Anthony Munroe said the following:

“The college was immediately inundated with feedback from students, faculty and prospective students and their families expressing frustration, concern and even fear that the views expressed by a college employee (with influence over students) would negatively impact their experience on the campus.”

“I fully believe that institutions of higher learning must provide a safe space for students… The character of this institution mandates that we embrace diversity, inclusion, and unity. Racism cannot be fought with more racism.”

Durden was suspended prior to her dismissal. When arriving on campus June 8, she was told she had to cancel classes and report to the Human Resources Department.

In an interview Sunday with Roland Martin, host of “NewsOne Now,” Durden said her suspension letter did not mention her appearance on Fox News; instead, a human resources representative indicated that was the reason, even though the school wasn’t mentioned during the broadcast.

In April, following Bill O’Reilly’s sexual harassment scandals and his ultimate departure from Fox News, Carlson replaced him in the daily 8 p.m. primetime slot with “Tucker Carlson Tonight.”

Carlson denounced Durden’s comments on his show, including “white privilege card.”

In 2016, he said that anyone who acknowledges that white privilege exists is “by definition, a racist.”

“Anyone who alleges the white privilege is, by definition, a racist,” he said. “I think we can say that and we should say that. That’s not a legitimate form of conversation. That’s tarring an entire group based on the way they look. That’s the definition of racism and I think people should stand up and say that because it’s true.”

But the TV host and Fox News can hardly be considered champions of racial equality and diversity.

Related Story

Fox Replaces O’Reilly With a Misogynist Racist

Fox Replaces O’Reilly With a Misogynist Racist

Beloved by David Duke and the DailyStormer.com, Tucker Carlson will take O’Reilly’s spot.

Carlson, who was once praised by former KKK grand wizard David Duke for standing up to “Jewish Supremacists,” has been empathetic to the white nationalist position on immigrants.

In March he defended U.S. Congressman Steve King of Iowa’s statement on Twitter, “We can’t restore our civilization with somebody else’s babies.”

King’s comments had drawn anger from Democrats and even from fellow Republicans, but not from Carlson.

“Everything you said, I think, is defensible and probably right,” he said to the congressman on his show.

Racism is apparently engrained in the Fox News culture. More than a dozen current and former employees of color are currently suing the network and its parent company, 21st Century Fox, for racial discrimination, including reporter Kelly Wright.

“Despite his outstanding performance, and because he is Black, Mr. Wright has been effectively sidelined and asked to perform the role of a ‘Jim Crow’ — the racist caricature of a Black entertainer,” according to the lawsuit.

Related Story

Reporter Kelly Wright Named as a Plaintiff in Fox News Discrimination Lawsuit

Kelly claims he "has been effectively sidelined and asked to perform the role of a 'Jim Crow' — the racist caricature of a Black entertainer.”

In May, Bob Beckel, co-host of Fox’s “The Five,” was fired for discrimination. According to attorney Douglas Wigdor, when a Black IT employee arrived to service Beckel’s computer, the TV co-host “stormed out of his office” and told “our client that he was leaving his office because he is Black,” Wigdor said in a statement.

• She never mention she was represent the university and she was fired for speaking her mind and giving and opinion?

• Let me get this straight: Carlson calls her a Nazi, then accuses her of racism for referring to “White privilege”?

• Charity Dell

GRANNYBUNNY–Denial of the existence of the WHITE PRIVILEGE CARD does not
      negate the existence of the card…calling people “racist” who refer to this card
      does not negate the existence of the White Privilege Card. That is the same
      as saying that Global Warming was “made up by liberals.” :-)

Tucker does not have a degree in erudition.

• You don’t think she’s a racist?

She was absolutely wanting to divide and segregate by race and only race. Seems like the very definition of a racist to me.

Shouldn’t my Black brothers and sisters be allowed to celebrate with me at any venue or event?

Shouldn’t I likewise be allowed to celebrate with my Black brothers and sisters at any venue?

Events that divide will never bring inclusion or healing.

We are ALL people, and segregating in the name of unity will never produce a world where we are truly inclusive and tolerant.

• Except racism flows from those who have power to those who are oppressed by those with power. Not the reverse.

When the oppressed carve out a little niche for themselves, it is disorienting for those who have never felt uninvited, unwelcome or unwanted. Or singled out by race and gunned down repeatedly by cops.

• I respectfully disagree – and if that is my While privilege leaking out so be it.

If a Black person hates me simply because I am White, that is every bit as racist as if I hate one of my Black brothers or sisters simply because they are Black.

I get that Whites have traditionally held the power, and that those in power can cause more damage, but racism is racism.

And…….. YOU NEVER UNITE THORUGH DIVISION.

P.S. Thanks for letting me participate in your forum, and not censoring my posts. Have a great day.

• I agree, division cannot unite. And a Black person who hates white people is a bigot. Certainly self-defeating behavior in our country. But let’s not disagree over semantics when we are on the same page.

You have a great day too, Dan. And a great Fourth – i know you to be an honest man and a patriot. And you work for a great patriotic company.

• Her comment was “In this particular day they said, ‘Stay your asses out; we want to celebrate today. We don’t want anyone going against us, today,’”
      Suppose a white professor had suggested we’re having a get together and we want you blacks to keep your black asses out
      out. Would you support that. I think not.

• You walked right into the spinning propeller.

“Keep your black ass out” describes this country’s legal history for 200+ years until roughly 1968, and its cultural history to this very day. Trump was elected on the strength of being head birther and otherwise attempting to delegitimize the dignified, Harvard Law educated, elected without Russian help, first Black president. Now he’s advocating cutting healthcare to millions of the white bigots that still support him, with no replacement in place. What do they say? TRUMP, TRUMP, TRUMP.

Roughly translated, that means “we hate n-words and would rather die in writhing pain than accept the healthcare that n-word gave us”.

HATE, HATE, HATE.

You made my day. Happy 4th, you recalcitrant ignoramous. I hope you live in NJ and had holiday plans at a state park (our Trump butt kissing parade float governor shut them down in a characteristic fit of childish pique).

• Christina Joy

I do not understand why People of Color continue to go on Fox news and expect anything other than mistreatment. This professor lost her job because she was arguing with an idiot. She needs to take a lesson from my mother when trying to get a point across to ignorant people….”you are not the jackass whisperer.”

• Some universities, and many Social Justice Warriors, have no sense of humor, eh? Zero tolerance? And Ms. Durden does show a lack of good judgment in appearing on Carlson’s show in the first place. He has, I believe, a bit of a reputation for teasing improprieties out of angry people, on camera.

• Rosetta Jenkins

Shameful. We been excluded from everything for ages. Also, we know that whenever 2 or more black people gather, white people become immediately suspicious. They can’t understand our need to be by ourselves and address put needs. Prof. should have been supported by her college. Did they think she was going to do a Nat Turner? (Just saw Birth of a Nation). They would never have the opportunity to educate my children. A college should support their facility’s need to “do their thing”. If this was a white prof with a white agenda, there would never have been a firing.

• You absolutely can’t fight racism with more racism! There are many white people who believe in black lives matter. You can’t segregate!

• When has Tucker Carlson had a Nazi on his show and told him that his all white meeting was racist?

• Any white person that doesn’t believe in “white privilege” needs to read Waking Up White: and Finding Myself in the Story of Race by Debby Irving. Then let’s discuss it. Call me. #wakingupwhite #staywoke

• You cannot expect fair treatment or an intelligent conversation on Fox News from Tucker Carlson. The man is an idiot pretending to be fair and balanced. What’s that saying, ‘you can’t argue with crazy’, well you can’t argue with stupid either. There is such a thing as ‘white’ privilege. You are not a racist if you recognize and state it as it does exist, not sure why that’s an argument on his part but who can understand what goes on in his head, I’m not hurting my brain trying.

I get that she probably went on the show thinking she’d try and introduce her viewpoint as a way to counter their one-sided view point and perhaps stretch their perspective. Um, has she watched those shows, good luck with that. They are one dimensional in their thinking. They don’t truly appear to think there are race related issues in this country since we managed to elect Barack Obama, and doesn’t that just prove that all this talk of white privilege and race related tensions are just made up and being peddled by the left and left thinking people. This ‘logic’, if you can call it that, allows them to continue to peddle that minorities are just race baiting and creating excuses for why we’re discontented instead of taking ‘responsibility’. You can’t win on the network trying to be the counterpoint to their crazy and they preach to a specific group. At this point I say leave them in their ignorance instead of trying to be the voice in the wind that challenges their myopic viewpoint.

• She got exactly what she deserved. Reverse racism is alive and well and you know it. Plus this site doesn’t have enough journalistic ethics to post this comment as they have deleted any posts critical of this story. How would you want to be a white student in her classroom? Did she give lower grades because of skin color? I’m sick to death of blacks screaming racism when they obviously promote it themselves against my people. What if a white person had gone on the show and said these things.? All hell would of busted lose. It’s about time black reverse racism is exposed for what it is. And I challenge Diversity Inc to live up to its name and post this comment and not delete because it does not fit your agenda. Otherwise your sight is irrelevant and cannot be taken seriously if you do not give eqaul space to opinions that your business does not agree with. This is just basic journalism. What goes around comes around

• There’s no such thing as “reverse racism.”

And the little squiggly red line under a word means you spelled it wrong, although, that won’t protect you from butchering syntax or grammar- or using “sight” instead of “site”.

You should think about those things if you’re going to criticize someone’s journalists or publication. Unless you’re trying to be funny, I suppose.

• So, Robert, if Tucker Carlson had Timothy Shriver, Chair of the Board of Special Olympics on his show and started arguing that he should be allowed to participate in Special Olympics, would you feel the same way? What if Carlson then attacked Shriver and said that Special Olympics was discriminating against able-bodied persons? If he did that, people would think that Tucker Carlson is a monster, which he is. This story about BLM is similar to that Special Olympics situation where a protected class of people want to hold their own event. The only difference is that Timothy Shriver would likely never get fired from his day job for airing his views and defending Special Olympics on Carlson’s show because he has the benefit of white privilege going for him. (I’m not saying that Mr. Shriver would every consciously play that card, but that it would be played for him and it would be assumed that he acted and spoke in good faith.)

• I know many white males who dated beautiful black women get harassed and even attacked by racist black men. That kind of racism is always ignored. I also listened to black americans make make racial slurs of other races including Asians, Hispanics, Indians, whites and even against those who prefer to date their own gender. Although I only heard against males who date other males.

• My older daughter dated a young Black man (I’ve known him since he was probably 8. Great young man).

It brought out the racists in his family and mine.

I finally called my Father-in-law and put him on the spot, asking if he had an issue with it. He stammered a bit, and I let him know flat out that I trusted this young man more than any blonde haired, blue eyed young man from our church, because I know him and his character. I got the blah, blah……… he went to his grave a racist.

The father of this young Black man has been my friend for almost 30 years. When I told him about it , he laughed and said he had some pissed off family that his son would date a White girl. Seems they had the exact same views as my racist Father-in-law, only point back at us….

I am happy to say that my wife had repudiated that part of her upbringing early on.

One family, one household, one person at a time.

Blessed are the peacemakers!

• Mau Mau Rising

In my opinion, she came across as fundamentally silly and worse than that, she made Tucker seem reasonable.

Let’s say she’s bigoted, in retrospect, couldn’t she have learned some of Lee Atwater’s tactics and recommendations to speak in code?

She was a shill for a racist, quasi news/entertainment program masquerading as a voice of reason.

• Durden is a racist. BLM is a stupid movement anyway. If you are a member, it means you’re for segregation. I absolutely agree that you can’t fight racism with more racism. And for the record, I’m a minority.