Abbott (No. 14 on the DiversityInc Top 50 Companies list) has announced it has completed the acquisition of St. Jude Medical, Inc., establishing the company as a leader in the medical device arena. The transaction provides Abbott with expanded opportunities for future growth and is an important part of the company’s ongoing effort to develop a strong, diverse portfolio of devices, diagnostics, nutritionals and branded generic pharmaceuticals.
“Abbott has a strong track record of successfully integrating dozens of businesses on a global scale and accelerating growth,” said Miles D. White, chairman and chief executive officer, Abbott. “The addition of St. Jude Medical strengthens our global medical device leadership while offering innovative products to address more areas of care, in more physicians’ offices and hospitals around the world.”
Pursuant to the terms of the Merger Agreement, upon completion of the acquisition, St. Jude Medical became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Abbott. As a result of the completion of the acquisition, Jan. 4, 2017, was the last day of trading of St. Jude Medical shares on the New York Stock Exchange.
St. Jude Medical’s strong positions in fast-growing areas such as atrial fibrillation, heart failure, structural heart and chronic pain complement Abbott’s leading positions in coronary interventions and mitral valve disease. Together, the company will compete in nearly every area of the $30 billion cardiovascular market and hold the No. 1 or 2 positions across large and high-growth cardiovascular device markets. This leading combined portfolio will have the depth, breadth, scale and innovation to help patients restore their health, improve outcomes and deliver greater value to customers and payors. Furthermore, the acquisition balances and strengthens the Abbott portfolio, which includes leading positions across all of its four core businesses.
Abbott will have a powerful pipeline across cardiovascular and neuromodulation patient care ready to deliver next-generation medical technologies and offer improved efficiencies for health care systems around the world. In fact, Abbott will continue to bring numerous new products to key markets during the coming years, including:
- EnSite Precision™ (which received U.S. FDA approval last month) next-generation cardiac mapping system to visualize and navigate catheters in the heart during ablation procedures
- ConfirmRx™ Implantable Cardiac Monitor to help physicians remotely diagnose and treat the most difficult to detect cardiac arrhythmias
- HeartMate 3®, which offers physicians more options for patients with advanced stage heart failure
- Portico™ Transcatheter Aortic Heart Valves for patients with severe aortic stenosis – the narrowing of the aortic valve that obstructs blood flow from the heart
- Proclaim™ DRG system and other stimulation waveform technologies to provide more options for patients with chronic pain
- Absorb™, the world’s first bioresorbable coronary stent and MitraClip, the world’s first transcatheter mitral-valve repair device in additional countries
“We continue to deliberately shape our business for long-term success by securing leadership positions in attractive markets and focusing on customer needs,” said Mr. White. “This philosophy has served as the foundation for significant and sustainable value creation for our shareholders. The addition of St. Jude Medical creates one of the broadest medical device portfolios in the world and provides a steady stream of new technologies and therapies for many years to come.”