DiversityInc Top 50 Methodology
The DiversityInc Top 50 ranking is based on empirical data obtained through organizations filling out the survey. Participation is free and companies that do business with DiversityInc receive no preferential treatment.
• The survey is the most rigorous, data-driven analysis gauging detailed demographics based on race/ethnicity and gender at some of the largest U.S. employers, all in an effort to better assess initiatives to hire, retain and promote women, minorities, people with disabilities, LGBT and veterans.
• The survey tracks human capital outcomes and connects them with best practices utilized to promote the advancement of underrepresented groups in the workplace. And results are highly regarded by media, corporations, government agencies, academia and the public at large thanks to the exhaustive vetting of data tracking real diversity on the ground.
• With more than 200 sophisticated questions — everything from women representation in the corner offices, to Blacks and Latinos getting promotions into management, to manager accountability when it comes to promoting diversity — applicants can see how they truly stack up against their competition and beyond when it comes to championing diversity.
• The survey also tracks demographics outside of the employers’ internal workforce, tracking primary and secondary supplier diversity as a reflection of a larger diversity commitment.
• Cutting edge SAS analytics software is used to assess submissions, and accomplished and credentialed data and analytics experts oversee the process. The data is entirely confidential and kept on three secure, separate, dedicated servers. Data is retained to allow for year-to-year comparisons.
• To be eligible for the list, participants must:
- Have at least 1,000 U.S. employees
- Submit a notarized form signed by either the CEO, the chief human resources officer (CHRO) or a corporate officer affirming that all data submitted is accurate. All data considered for DiversityInc Top 50 rankings is U.S.-based (except the Top Companies for Global Diversity list).
- Complete NOD’s Disability Employment Tracker
- At least one employee from each company named to the DiversityInc Top 50 must attend the Top 50 dinner in order to complete the application process and maintain a spot on the list. The survey opens September 15, 2016 and the submission deadline is March 2, 2017, by 11:59 PM in your time zone.