The DiversityInc Top 50 Companies for Diversity list began in 2001, at the same time many corporations were beginning to understand the business value of diversity-management initiatives. Like diversity management itself, the list has evolved significantly and continues to be refined and improved to reflect how rapidly companies are adapting these strategies.
Participation in the list has increased every year, and for 2014 we had 1,215 companies. There is volatility on the list as new companies gain strength and others work to keep up with quickly evolving best practices. This year, 26 companies moved up on the list and 15 moved down. One first-time participant even made the list.
The DiversityInc Top 50 list is derived exclusively from corporate survey submissions. Companies are evaluated within the context of their own industries. Subsets of the same data submission are used to determine our other lists: DiversityInc’s 25 Noteworthy Companies, The DiversityInc Top 10 Hospitals and Health Systems, The DiversityInc Top 10 Companies for Recruitment, The DiversityInc Top 10 Companies for Supplier Diversity, The DiversityInc Top 10 Companies for Mentoring, The DiversityInc Top 10 Companies for Diversity Councils, The DiversityInc Top 10 Companies for Employee Resource Groups, The DiversityInc Top 10 Companies for Veterans, The DiversityInc Top 10 Companies for LGBT Employees, The DiversityInc Top 10 Companies for People With Disabilities, The DiversityInc Top 10 Companies for Global Diversity, The DiversityInc Top 10 Regional Companies and The DiversityInc Top 7 Utilities.
The DiversityInc Top 50 process is editorially driven and is not pay to play.
Participation is free. Every company that participates receives a free report card, assessing its performance versus all competitors overall and in four key areas of diversity management:
- Talent Pipeline: workforce breakdown, recruitment, diameter of existing talent, structures
- Equitable Talent Development: employee resource groups, mentoring, philanthropy, movement, fairness
- CEO/Leadership Commitment: accountability for results, personal communications, visibility
- Supplier Diversity: spend with companies owned by people from underrepresented groups, accountability, support
We do not divulge specific demographic data of any company, and we guarantee its confidentiality. If a company makes the DiversityInc Top 50 list or one of the other lists, we only discuss the best practices it utilizes that helped it make the list. There is no negativity associated with participation.
More on the DiversityInc Top 50
- 2014 Top 50 Profiles From 1 to 50
- DiversityInc Top 50 Is Not Pay to Play
- DiversityInc Top 50 Data Security Procedures and Policy
- 2014 DiversityInc Top 50 magazine
- All DiversityInc Top 50 Lists Since 2001
- Previous Special Awards Winners
- Media Resources for Companies on the 2014 DiversityInc Top 50